• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any Progress on Registry Points Review?

3 posts in this topic

A while ago I suggested that the points allocated on the registry should make some changes. The largest change is extra points for Grade Rarity. I have several modern commemoratives that had a high mintage but extremely low # of 70's. The points seemed to be sckewed in favor completely on mintage, which is important.

However, from a rating point of view I think my 1984-S $1 Oly PF70UC with less than 25 out of 850 graded receiving the 70 designation- 2.7% only get 574 points. Whereas, my Yellowstone MS70 with a lower mintage, but close to 100 or 20%+ in MS70 recieves twice the Registry points.

I think the system is excellent, but needs a little tweaking to take into acoount or put much more emphasis on grade rarity. There are many other examples that could be sited, just in the modern commemorative series. But I know Roosies and SHQ's have similiar blips. Thanks so much. sign-rantpost.gif

I'd agree with Thomas.

It seems to me the important criterion for Registry purposes is the product of the absolute mintage with the probability of finding an example among the minted population that meets the specified grade. In other words, it's the expected value for the number of specimens in the grade.

If the number of already graded specimens is a statistically meaningful sample of the total population, then as a rough upper limit you can multiply the percentage of examples in a particular grade by the total population to determine the probable actual number of coins in that grade, whether those coins are currently raw or already graded. I wrote upper limit because already graded coins don't represent a random sample of the minted population. Rather, they're a filtered sample biased toward higher grades (unless of course the person doing the filtering is a insufficiently_thoughtful_person). In general, therefore, a coin's entire minted population includes coins already known not to make the grade but that will be included in the rough guestimate.

If rarity is determined by the absolute number (as opposed to the percentage) of specimens exhibiting the desired characteristic(s), then any attempt to assign points based on rarity must proceed from either the actual or expected value of this number.

Beijim

Thank you for your agreement on this matter I visited before without success. Hopefully NGC will recogize this. A lot oif wirk but will make it a more accurate Registry. I'm home on disability and would glady DONATE my services in making this come true.

Listening!!! Rick, David & Dena Free assisrance from former accountant, mktg dir. and collector of Moderns. angel.gifGlady Donate My Time