• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

superb gem oregon trail commem with great toning!

8 posts in this topic

this coin is currently in an ngc ms68 holder 1937-D and is really nice for the grade as a 68 should be.

usually half of the ms 68 silver commems in holders pre 1954 are either real 68 coins OR wannabe 68

REALLY 67 coins

in 68 holders

in my opinion.

this coin is a nice 68 in a 68 holder!!

the PHOTO DOESNOT DO THIS COIN JUSTICE AS IT IS MUCH LIGHTER NOT DARK LIKE

THE SCAN SHOWS AND HAS SUPER

GREAT

LUSTRE UNDERNEATH THE TONING

THIS COIN IS LILAC TONED with splashes of golden yellow on the reverse with a rainbow rim from 11pm to 8 am

the reverse is mostly lilac toned with rainbow rimsfrom noon to 7 pm both sides have great lustre blazing

through the toning

the obverse is essentally mark free with a full strike the reverse is almost fully struck which is the norm

for this date and issue as the top of the wagon near almost touching the side of the coin is never quite struck up

which is the norm for this date and issue only a couple of tiny well hidden marks can be

seen on the reverse of this coin the toning on this coin is the result of years of stroage in its original cardboard

holder with the tabs pulled off so that it didnot tab tone why i do not know but this is not tab toned.... maybe

the tabs didnot physcially touch this coin? but nonetheless clearly original original issue cardboard toning

as i have seen many toned like this in their original cardboard cards of issue

now not as nicely toned or with

the eye appeal of this coin

i have seen some advertisied and auction ms 68 1937-d oregons the past year and currently and none are as nice

as this coin there are a few that are monster nice but this coin is definately in the top 15% for overall

eye appeal! and even the quality issue 37-d oregon is usually not seen this nice!!!!

this coin is currently in an eastern collection and i have examined personally this coin and the above comments

are my own based on my 35 years of experience looking at thousands of coins and studying them

this coin is currently not for sale nor has it been sold nor is it being hyped for an upcoming sale

it is just that i have seen as i have said above many thousands of coins and some have stuck out to me as

really special and this above coin is one of them in other words this is a great coin

only buy great coins and this might help others see what great coins look like and help them only try to

purchase great coins coins with extraordinary eye appeal that re heads and tails over

many other similar graded or close to

similar graded coins

as for me it is mostly about eye appreal you can go buy many coins that are solid for the grade and maybe

even undergraded in the same grade holders BUT THE KEY IS TO BUY COINS THAT HAVE EXTRAORDINARY

EYE APPEAL AND/OR QUALITIES THAT MAKE THEM SPECIAL AND OTHERS SEE AND WANT TO OWN

the coins can be from any series and/or time frame and be graded poor or fair to superb gem

just only buy great coins coins that have extraordinary eye appeal!

sincerely michael

63299-oregon37-d.jpg.5821c7f80317cbff5aa1241038c69beb.jpg

Truly excellent coin Michael. The scan reminds me of how Stack's scans their coins - a bit muted, not bright as you say. Nice to see a gem in the middle of the current excess of shotgun pellets.

Hoot

A realy beauty Michael! Thanks for sharing. I am not a toning fan nor a toning expert, can anyone share how this coin may have toned in that pattern?

hi there jktryka if you read the post again i know it is really lomg but i say that this coin toned this way because of the original cardboard holder it was issued in and i have seen this type of

toning before with original oregon cardboard issue holders many are not as pretty as this coin and this coin is a nice exception i guess many factors made this coin special

i guess everything was in place so to speak

also thanks everyone for all the great comments!!!!!!

keep on collecting

sincerely michael