• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got my Type 1 today!

7 posts in this topic

I got my type 1 Liberty double eagle today (1860), and I am quite pleased! It is my first one, and is a relatively common date in an ANACS holder (I know I won't get slammed for the holder on this forum, unless it's an ACG shocked.gif ) and was a bargain in my opinion. I can't post a pic right now since I am using it for one of my famous grade guessing competitions this weekend (which I believe will feature Type 1, 2, and 3 Liberty double eagles, and Motto and NM low-relief Saints graded by all four of the major services). Anyway, I really like the square style of the shield on the reverse, anyone have any idea why they changed the style of the shield when they added the motto in 1866?

Here are a couple of pics:

1860 Obverse

1860 Reverse

Overall, I am very pleased with this coin, it looks really nice in person, and as a bonus, for the first few days I thought I bought an 1861, and then when I finally got confirmation from Heritage I learned it was an 1860, a somewhat better (though still common) date.

I can't tell you since I am going to use it in a grading contest on the forums next week. You'll find out soon enough. wink.gif