• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's NCS?

9 posts in this topic

Oh. Thanks!

So the coin collectors don't care if conservation is properly done to the coin? Does it increase the value appreciably? To me, that 1927 Saint looks better "Before" (except for the huge stain on the front - but I like the patina on it). Did NGC grade these Before and After? I'd be interested to know what sort of grade increase came from the conservation.

The comic folks would have a cow if comics were cleaned like that.

CosmicBob,

Coins are slightly different from comics in how surface issues can cause damage. Reading a comic book is going to leave fingerprints on the book, but they may never appear visible on the book. A fingerprint on a coin can reappear and the oils can actually damage the coin in question.

Coin collectors generally agree that is surface contaminants like a fingerprint can be removed without altering the physical surface of the coin, this is OK.

The comic equivalent of the kind of "conservation" that coin guys accept would be like taking a lightly dampened cloth and using it to remove dust and dirt from the cover. Stuff like color touch-ups, corner repairs, and staple work, all translate to coin no-nos, and NGC does not slab coins with those equivalents, even with the "purple" label.

and NGC does not slab coins with those equivalents, even with the "purple" label.

Yeah, that is where the comic submissions have it over coin submissions. For comics you dread the restored label. Send in a whizzed coin and you get a nice little bodybag for your time and expense smile.gif

Phil