• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hey, Conder101, there's a post ATS about old slabs

4 posts in this topic

Interesting but no real ground shaking news.

1.I find it odd that the dealers would be sending in rolls of dollars paying for slabbing as samples, and then giving them away. If you are just going to give them away why have them as samples and not just as graded coins. (Possibly because of condition or problems the dollars would have been BB rather than slabbed.) And why hand out silver dollars instead of somethig less expensive? Especially considering the slab contained no advertising or mention of who had given it to you. He says that most of the dollars sent in were Peace dollars, but almost all of the known silver dollar sample slab today are Morgan dollars.

2. I could believe that. I can't really tell because I can't see difference between them. My source (David Lange) said that the green ones came before the light brown ones, if they were early and light brown that faded to green and the later ones stayed light brown they could both be correct.

3. Confirmation of something we had already concluded.

4. This is just a continuation of their standard serial number policy.

5. Almost any of the sample slab varieties would have lower production numbers than the Black, and maybe the all white slabs did. Have more of the silver dollar sample slabs been saved than specimens of the Black or all white slabs? Of the Black, Probably. Of the All White, Possibly.

For the PCGS comments

1. This seems definite. I have even seen one label that was half and half. The top of the label was yellow and the bottom half was green. It is a 1946 Walking Liberty half dollar in MS-65 6627.65/2379926

2. Gone but most probably not destroyed. there is an ever increasing awareness about the early PCGS and NGC holder varieties (I ran to six collectors of PCGS and NGC slab varieties at a show a month and a half ago.) and the Doily holders are so visually noticeable that they attract attention and usually get snapped up when they appear. But I don't think they are being cracked out.

3. None of the "slab within frame" varieties can really be considered to be common. They were issued for a very brief period and came in four varieties during that period. I would say the dot matrix printed label with PCGS at the top is probably the most common, followed by the Doily, then the dot matrix without PCGS at the top, and then the last variety with the die cut green label (The one that fades) that was used on PCGS 4. (The other three all use a card stock type label with perforated edges.)

If someone would like to post these comments ATS I would be fine with that.

"1.I find it odd that the dealers would be sending in rolls of dollars paying for slabbing as samples, and then giving them away. If you are just going to give them away why have them as samples and not just as graded coins. (Possibly because of condition or problems the dollars would have been BB rather than slabbed.) And why hand out silver dollars instead of somethig less expensive? Especially considering the slab contained no advertising or mention of who had given it to you. He says that most of the dollars sent in were Peace dollars, but almost all of the known silver dollar sample slab today are Morgan dollars."

As for giving dollars out as samples, when these sample slabs were produced, silver was only 2 or 3 bucks an ounce so the loss was probably not really significant, especially for common MS60 coins.

Right?

As for giving dollars out as samples, when these sample slabs were produced, silver was only 2 or 3 bucks an ounce so the loss was probably not really significant, especially for common MS60 coins.

More like 5 to 6 dollars an oz, then with the premium for silver dollars, shipping, insurance and slabbing charge you are probably looking at a total cost of $12 or so apiece to give away. Now I might see that if the had the dealers name on them as well, but you are talking about the dealers giving away $12 items to advertise someone else's business. Just seems very odd. Now I could definitely see NGC doing it but just giving them to their associated dealers with submission priviledges as a bonus to them an a way to show off their new style slab to them.