• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1832 Bust Half Dime

6 posts in this topic

I think VF is a fair place to start with this. But, I also think its been cleaned at some point in its history, and rather harshly if I am interpreting the horizontal hairlines across the bust and fields properly. As for the price, I am not familiar with these so I can't comment on that.

I agree with the VF assessment. I also believe it is better than a 20 but the lack of clarity of the clasp and weakness in the ear prevent it from VF 30 in my opinion. Your VF 25 assessment sounds about right. The star centers sure are sharp though.

It has obviously been cleaned but is still a nice piece of American history,.

Some rather harsh lighting conditions (I myself cannot take coin pictures so I should not comment...but) in those images and I think it's distorting the true condition of this half dime. Perhaps you can get us some better pics when it comes in along with the other one that you recently purchased.

$52 is not outrageous, but remember, you are buying raw and that is risky.

Once again the coin has been cleaned like the 1829 piece you posted before.

These coins are hard to find with original surfaces in the circulated grades. When you do find them, the prices will be higher than what you have been paying. What you are getting are cleaned coins at high retail prices. As such they are not attractive purchases IMO.