• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kind of Disheartening

17 posts in this topic

Viewing reaction's across the street, it saddens me to see that so many people still place an emphasis on plastic and not the contents of said plastic. All's that I see is fear that PCGS coins will become worthless or be devalued in this turmoil.

When did PCGS begin minting coins? I thought the US Mint was the main source of coins, except for those Dark Side sickos.

If the coin can stand on its own merits, the slab is just for protection and authenticity, regardless of who graded it.

If the coin can stand on its own merits, the slab is just for protection and authenticity, regardless of who graded it.

It's cute to see such naive posts every once in a while. Thanks!

Shiroh,

Even the state quarters will survive, although pre-1964 material will fare much better. I saw posts from early Lincoln collectors and Merc collectors crying across the street.

NCS will slab your chopped specimens now.

So will ANACS, SEGS, PCI, ACG, & PCGS (provided the chopmark is hidden in the design and they don't see it in the 3 seconds they spent looking at the coin).

Viewing reaction's across the street, it saddens me to see that so many people still place an emphasis on plastic and not the contents of said plastic. All's that I see is fear that PCGS coins will become worthless or be devalued in this turmoil.

I think it comes from some people believing that ALL PCGS coins are PQ and there for are worth a premium over ANY coin of the same grade in another holder. Unfortunately that is VERY far from the truth and many people buy PCGS thinking they are getting PQ coins when in reality they are getting low end for the grade (barely made it) coins instead. I used to worry about people like that but now I just see it as a buying opportunity for myself since in the last year I have found choice coins in many different slabs PCI,ANACS,ICG,SEGS and INGS. I cracked out all the coins (rainbow Morgans) and now five of the seven pieces reside in NGC star* holders at the same grade with only 1 ICG coin going from 65 down to 64 and the SEGS coin going UP one grade 64 to 65 (both expected).

You know, the more I go over to that side of the street, the more it seems like a really bad episode of the Simpsons..."Worst episode EVER..."

Funny how slab angst (like that term? I just made it up) has gotten hold of so many "collectors." Sure, if a slab company goes under, then the worst that will happen is that the coins will trade like they were raw (I've had this experience buying now-defunct slabbed coins like USGCS). With a company like PCGS, with the number of slabs out there, it will be 2015 before that ever happens, even if they shut the doors tomorrow.

I have noticed some interesting trends in gold in looking at the Heritage offerings. I pointed this out to WSM a while ago on the other forum a few months ago that just as many NGC double eagles traded at higher prices than PCGS (funny how he never responded to that comment), but over the last few weeks, I have only seen NGC coins trading at a premium to PCGS, and not the other way around. Now this is likely a coincidence, and I must also give Heritage credit in that they will always mark up a coin a few bucks more if it's a really nice quality coin (such were the examples I found). Just another point to prove that if you are an astute collector in your field, you will always find nice coins at good prices regardless of the wrapper.

Good Term! I have felt for many years that NGC is better at grading gold than PCGS. I guess others must feel the same way or NGC prices would be lower. Lately, PCGS grading of gold is all over the map. Fortunately, most of their mistakes err on the side of undergrading particulary US gold, which others may see as a crisis, I see as an opportunity. tongue.gif