• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with grading this 1948D Franklin

7 posts in this topic

I need your help in grading this 1948 D Franklin Half. I'm trading it on a book I'm in need of and could use some help in setting a value. It was purchased as an FS-50-1948D-801 DDR, but I need as good a grade estimate as I can get to set the value. Unfortunately, it does not have FBL.

Thanks

Jim

1948DFranklinHalf091508Inhand.jpg

I don't have a Cherrypickers, so I am not entirely sure what that is referring to. However, the master hub was doubled in 1948, so virtually all 1948 and 1948D Franklins have a doubled reverse. This, obviously, does not add any premium. If there is an additional doubling beyond that, it might add a slight premium, but varieties on Franklin's don't usually garner a premium except for the most notable examples.

I would grade your coin a 64. Most 1948's are FBL, but marks on the lines does knock it out of that status. I am not sure if the couple of dings on your coin are serious enough to take away the FBL or not, sometimes NGC can be fickle on that subject.

The hub doubling that shows on all 1948s is virtually microscopic and does not add value. However, the Cherrypicker's varieties are much clearer and will command a premium, but I cant tell from your pics of this is a DDR. It does not look like it from what I can see, but I can't be certain.

Woody,

Unfortunately, that is a small scrape. You can't see it but from one angle in hand, but once you know it is there it stands out.

Thanks

Jim

Ben's face is the focal point on the obverse, so those marks are close to that point and to the observer, may be a bit distracting. It is still a nice looking Franklin, but I can go no higher than MS-64.

Good luck on your transaction.

Coinman,

I guess the photo below is what they claim to be a DDR.

Thanks

Jim

DbldEandRIB.jpg

Here is my 1948P DDR, which is an exact match to the CP's photo.

1948PFranklinHalf.jpg

Note the photo here is with a B/W microscope, thus the color difference.

doubledRIBinEpluribusunum.jpg