• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPDATE- EBAY seller ethical or not??

6 posts in this topic

I took the advice of MarkFeld and here is the response from the seller:

CCGS is my slab service...i do it to make the coins look good... protect them in shipping and to stop people trading them out and sending me back something else.

I use my opinion, and also an opinion of a couple other collectors that I know in my coin club...hence collector coin grading service.

They are opinions..and I ask people to judge for selves.

I also offer a 100% refund policy including shipping both ways where others do not refund any shipping cost and some even charge a 15% restocking...so it is a no lose for the people I sell to.

Any comments or feedback would be appreciated.

I find my self slabbed coins fit in better with my regular slab inventory better than if they were in staple 2x2's. And yes my self slabbed coins sell well. I would say coins less than $100 make good self slab candidates.

I don't allow individuals to take a coin or piece of currency out of the holder. The guy could have just had lunch and still have fried chicken grease all over his hands. I once saw a fellow examining a roll of BU quartrers at a table next to mine and he was throwing the ones he had seen in a pile striking other coins. The dealer did not seem to mind but it was making me furious to see some clod treating coins that way.

Personally, I think it is unethical to slab (and offer for sale) your own coins without disclosing such, IF it is done in a way that could lead a reasonable person to believe the coins have been independently certified.

Personally, I think it is unethical to slab (and offer for sale) your own coins without disclosing such, IF it is done in a way that could lead a reasonable person to believe the coins have been independently certified.

If a dealer has the name of his business on his self slabbed product many see nothing unethical here. The general consensus I get from self slabbers I have visitited with looking at their product (mainly to see how they produced such impressive labels, where the slabs can be purchased etc.) is that they feel their expertise in grading is as good as just about anyones and they have a right to put their grade on their product. Realistically, I see self slabs as a sub inventory (World Coins, US coins under $100, and major TPG slab candidates) vs the Varsity (coins submitted to a major TPG). With the inexpensive self slab materials on the market there are many folks self slabbing their own coins so I don't believe anyone is going to stop it. Its fun, easy, and with good excel skills you can make impressive looking labels that can be mapped from an excel spreadsheet to print on address labels and then trimmed as they are applied to the insert.

Here in Arizona, there a number of shops with some really nice self slabbed material (primarily bullion). The guy who runs a shop near me said "If I want to put coins in my own slabs I have labeled with my grade, vs stapled 2x2's that is my right. It's called free enterprise and I will be in the face of anyone who challenges it." I could tell he was getting kind of testy and directed the conversation in another direction.