• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New toners came in today what ya think?

32 posts in this topic

Ive been out of the scene for awhile have been really busy with work :( Im starting to get back into coins and off the bat i think i found some nice ones. The buffalo is a 1934 D, i was gonna do a pic of the reverse as well but my camera died on me :( The toning looks much more vibrant in hand i just couldnt get the lighting right on this coin. The kennedy came out perfect. Enjoy :)

34dbuffalo.jpg

64kennedyrainbowO.jpg

64kennedyrainbowR.jpg

If the images are accurate, I do not think the color on the Buffalo Nickel is original. Ditto for the Kennedy Half, but I do not feel quite as strongly about it.

If the images are accurate, I do not think the color on the Buffalo Nickel is original. Ditto for the Kennedy Half, but I do not feel quite as strongly about it.

the color is off on the buffalo in the pic i just had a limited amount of time to take a pic of the coin so couldnt play with the lighting (camera was going dead). The kennedy looks dead on in hand, i just got lucky when i snapped the pic. I just renewed my membership again so i have free grades and will send these with some others i just purchased so we will see. Im 99% sure both will slab but a dime i purchased while it looks sweet i feel is gonna get bagged. The color lays right and transitions like it should just the way it toned just doesnt seem right. Never seen one tone in the pattern it did but ill take a chance on it.

I'll be the first to state unequivocally, then, that both coins appear artificially toned.

That's what I meant to convey, but I was trying to say it nicely. Subtleties of expression and understatement don't really translate well online.

Dj, I would save your money if I were you. Both of these will bag, and if on the lucky improbability that they do slab, they will not grade very high.

I'll be the first to state unequivocally, then, that both coins appear artificially toned.

That's what I meant to convey, but I was trying to say it nicely. Subtleties of expression and understatement don't really translate well online.

Dj, I would save your money if I were you. Both of these will bag, and if on the lucky improbability that they do slab, they will not grade very high.

The grading is gonna be free. Ive seen many toners and my gut just tells me they will slab. I guess my pictures really do suck :( They are already in the mail anyway so there is no pulling back now lol. I wish i had a pic of the dime now that 1 im sure everyone would agree will bag but since it only cost me shipping i figured why not lol. Ill update this post when i get the results. On a long shot and just to test my skill for a little fun (feel free to chime in with a guess) im gonna say the buff gets a 63* and the kennedy gets a 65* :) Also i purchased these coins from a reputable online dealer which also gives me the confidence.

I am not convinced they are AT or NT right now.....I have seen coins such as these in top tier holders and I have also seen some with the same appearance that I knew were AT so.....I gues the question is....are they market acceptable. hm

I don't know but I feel that the odds are at least 50/50 on both that they will holder. I really like the nickel by the way....regardless of the root cause of toning (thumbs u

Here are a couple of buffs that ended up slabbed by PCGS. I can't remember the grades given since I have since sent them back to their owner, but they weren't graded low. AT/NT... don't know, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that the buffalo in this thread will be successful in it's attempt to be slabbed.

1913T1obv_211.jpg

1913T1rev_222.jpg

1938dsbufobv_197.jpg

1938dsbufrev_204.jpg

The grading is gonna be free
Even when grading is "free", it's not truly free unless you wouldn't ever use the "free" slots on other deserving coins in the future. Free grading now, means other coins that get graded later must be paid for. And that doesn't include postage.

I feel the buffalo is NT, the Kennedy looks to be AT, becuase the obverse toning looks a little off to me hm

But I could see both in TPGs slabs! :devil:

You guys are killing me with those Buffs!!! Even though, I think that the 1934-D has been helped.

Oh, I remember seeing the 1913 ty1 and the 1938-D somewhere before! I couldn't forget them no matter how hard I tried.

I have seen coins such as these in top tier holders and I have also seen some with the same appearance that I knew were AT so.....I gues the question is....are they market acceptable.

There's the rub! We have all seen blatantly AT coins in good slabs, and also seen unquestionably original coins get bagged. So the truth is - there is no "right" or "wrong" answer, no matter what the TPG says.

Lighting is key with these coins. The Buff looks like some lightly circulated pieces that are ocassionally found in folders as long as it looks in-hand how I am interpreting the image, otherwise, I have no clue. The JFK also looks similar to some of the after-market year sets that were put out during the time of issue and still today find their way to collectors. Again, lighting is key with my interpretation of the coins.

Ive been out of the scene for awhile have been really busy with work :( Im starting to get back into coins and off the bat i think i found some nice ones. The buffalo is a 1934 D, i was gonna do a pic of the reverse as well but my camera died on me :( The toning looks much more vibrant in hand i just couldnt get the lighting right on this coin. The kennedy came out perfect. Enjoy :)

Holy cow! Very nice!

I love the 5Cer.

Great pickup.

Bob

Bob,

If those are mine, which I'm pretty sure they are, the 13 is a 5 and the 38 is a 6 and is a D/S

Those would be the ones Jack. I love them both. :cloud9:

Here are a couple of buffs that ended up slabbed by PCGS. I can't remember the grades given since I have since sent them back to their owner, but they weren't graded low. AT/NT... don't know, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that the buffalo in this thread will be successful in it's attempt to be slabbed.

1938dsbufobv_197.jpg

1938dsbufrev_204.jpg

My buff has the same color as this one the 38. The color has that same exact tone/vibrant look i just couldnt capture it correctly in the limited time i had :( both coins are what i like to call a non tilter. You dont have to hold it a certain way or shine light on it to see the colors, You can just see it perfectly no matter how u look at it. In hand they are both awesome. It seems my dad didnt mail them off for me yet so before i do today i will take a new pic but first gotta get some batteries for the camera. Ill post new pics in a few!

Alright here is 2 new pics in 2 different kinds of lighting. First one is with no light (pretty dark) and the second is with light. I still think the pics are a little off then what it looks like in hand. It does look better in hand i think.

buff1.jpg

buff2.jpg

Can someone please help me out here...

On that beauty of an 1938 Buffalo...is that a D over S? I'll post pictures of mine but I probably won't be able to get a good shot of the mintmark, but under the microscope, my D/S looks different.

dscloseup-1.jpg

dsrev-1.jpg

dsobv-1.jpg

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend. Beautiful and warm here in RI.

RI AL

Here is a larger image of Jack's D over S. Sorry I don't have a close up of just the mint mark area. You can clearly see the middle of the S inside of the D.

1938dsbufrev_204-1.jpg

The additional images are so different looking from the first ones that I don't feel like I have any idea what the coin actually looks like. And as a result, it's impossible to form a meaningful opinion.

Mark,

I do appreciate your input as we know you are one of the most knowledgeable professionals in the field. In this case it might look different due to the size of the image. If you'll use the quote feature on each of the posts where these images are, you'll notice that they are the same image. One is number 204 and one is 204-1. The difference in the number is because I uploaded the same image in a larger format and the -1 was added automatically.

Mark,

I do appreciate your input as we know you are one of the most knowledgeable professionals in the field. In this case it might look different due to the size of the image. If you'll use the quote feature on each of the posts where these images are, you'll notice that they are the same image. One is number 204 and one is 204-1. The difference in the number is because I uploaded the same image in a larger format and the -1 was added automatically.

Sorry for the confusion, Bob - I was speaking of the additional images of the 1934-D from the original post.