• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1878-CC Morgan guess the grade *** grade revealed***

21 posts in this topic

It received a MS62 with a mint error, stike thru reverse @ 6:00

I personally thought it was a MS63 with a shot a 64, but.....oh well :(

Just got the grade and image tonight.

Who wants to guess?

Stefanie

c60a1b16.jpg

While that image is great for the color, I don't think it gives a very balanced view of the coin at all. You can't really tell anything about the surface, it looks like there is no luster whatsoever, and I can hardly tell anything meaningful about the strike.

All that being said, it appears to be a Fabulous coin, I would grade it MS-65* at least, based on what may or may not be going on with those images.

Just got the grade and image tonight.

Who wants to guess?

Stefanie

c60a1b16.jpg

She is a pretty one, Stef!

I saw your post ATS, but so many others had already commented that I didn't see the point. Besides, I don't think they like me over there. I ask questions or make comments and nobody responds. At least here people answer whether they like you or not. lol

When I first saw the obverse, I was thinking 65, but there seems to be a loss of detail on the eagle's talons and the wreath below. I can't say how PCGS might view it, so I'm thinking 64.

Chris

Very nice Morgan there Steph. As physics stated, can't really tell too much about the fields with these pics but other than that, looks MS64-65. Very nice color!!!

A few issues stick out with this coin but it may be the coloring disguising the details

In 1878 the Eagles had a concave breast so it would have to have extreme wear for them to be flat like they are just leaving the 'crease' for the height change.

The feet of the eagle appear to be almost gone or it would 'appear' so in the picture

and as Chris pointed out the Wreath has some details completely missing.

On the other hand Other high ponts of the coin are virtually untouched, eagles wing tips etc.

So I am on the going on the assumption that it is a very weak strike or strike through on the reverse. How PCGS would grade this is anyones guess.

The obverse has similar issues where usual wear points are fine yet the hairline above the forehead is not as detailed as it should be ... so allowing for the weak strike/strike through, I would say low side MS63

Thats a coin you would love to see in hand - Nice coin Stephanie

It received a MS62 with a mint error, stike thru reverse @ 6:00

I personally thought it was a MS63 with a shot a 64, but.....oh well :(

To some extent, I think this is an indictment of the PCGS image quality. As I mentioned previously, I think "TruView" images are awful. They always seem to look nicer than the actual coin.

From past experience in "interpreting" their images, I felt there was a lot of chatter in the fields, and a significant scar on Liberty's cheek. However, I still can't see the "strike through".

My suspicion is that in hand, I would agree with the PCGS grade.

Steph, IMHO this is a good example of PCGS "net grading" of your coin. They took the weak strike on the reverse eagle breast and feet and subtracted 2 grades for strike weakness. They have done that to a coin of mine, as well.

Grade posted

Thanks to everyone for their input

Stefanie

Note to self: You're lousy at trying to grade toned coins from photos. Beware!

Chris

Steph, IMHO this is a good example of PCGS "net grading" of your coin. They took the weak strike on the reverse eagle breast and feet and subtracted 2 grades for strike weakness. They have done that to a coin of mine, as well.

That's what I was thinking :)

Stefanie

Grade posted

Thanks to everyone for their input

Stefanie

Note to self: You're lousy at trying to grade toned coins from photos. Beware!

Chris

You are in good company.......lol

Stefanie