• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Back from NGC

13 posts in this topic

Well, this is one from my 2nd batch. Four of six graded including this one.Two did not. First was Obverse cleaned (20 years in a slab), the last was Improperly cleaned. This 79s Morgan was a PCI crackout. I'll tell you this about it.NGC did keep the DPL designation.Surprise!! To the pics.

79SNGC1.jpg

79SNGC2.jpg

That coin should not grade any higher than MS-63 P-L. There is too much clatter on the cheek for it to grade any higher. It might go as low as MS-62 because it is a common date that comes nice, and the services can be tough on those at times.

Well, here's the disappointing results. While there is chatter on the Obverse, I think it's more a borderline 63 DPL. With NGC I was expecting a 62 DPL. They were pretty hard on another one I sent in as well. The other two that gradded did what I expected.

79SDPL.jpg

Hey - Congratulations on attaining the LOWEST grade that NGC gives in a DPL

One of ONLY 5 hahah and DO not believe the price - people will pay 3 times the numismedia price for that coin.

I said 62 on the optimistic side and on seeing ONLY 5 MS61's I goosed my estimate a notch ...

WOW nothing over a 62 in that batch with 2 bags arrghghhgh - HEY a learning experience though

Cool coin anyway I like it ...

Hey - Congratulations on attaining the LOWEST grade that NGC gives in a DPL

One of ONLY 5 hahah and DO not believe the price - people will pay 3 times the numismedia price for that coin.

I said 62 on the optimistic side and on seeing ONLY 5 MS61's I goosed my estimate a notch ...

WOW nothing over a 62 in that batch with 2 bags arrghghhgh - HEY a learning experience though

Cool coin anyway I like it ...

Funny man!!! Didn't know you could look them up.How'd you do that?It came out of a PCI 63 slab.Paid $49 for it 8 months ago.

Yeah, I thought I got hosed. I don't know what they saw that I missed.Geez, especially that 80S. It's as PL as they come and loks much better than the DPL.The BB 81S was in a slab for the last 20 years. It came from a batch of about 20 in the same type slab. Oh well, Move on.

BTW, I checked PCGS price guide and they have no listing for MS 61 DPL. MS 62 DPL is the lowest they go. I couldn't access the Pop report though.

It came out of a PCI 63 slab.Paid $49 for it 8 months ago.

Yeah, I thought I got hosed. I don't know what they saw that I missed.

No, you didn't get hosed. Your second photo of that coin in the slab provides ample evidence that the coin is only an MS-61. There are many, many marks on Ms. Liberty's cheek, and that's important because it is the focal point of the coin. People’s eyes go to the cheek right away, and if there are lots of marks there, the MS grade will be low. That applies even if the reverse is very, very nice.

Thanks all, you guys are great.Even when your wrong!!! Ha! I'm not really that upset with the grades,I'm more befuddled about why I thought they were better than they are.I have plenty of light and magnification,I read voraciously and I lok at hundreds of coins. I guess 1- 2 point difference isn't that big a deal.Except when you're talking common dates.Some of these were bought long ago,a couple were new buys. Just gotta do better in the future. Pete