• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is up with this thing? (VERY large images)

7 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, for your viewing and grading pleasure I bring you this piece from Tunisia. I am really more questioning the color on the reverse - what is it from, what caused it, do you like it, etc.? I believe the lines on the obverse are die polish lines, not hairlines.

JPW541.jpg

Wooden Jefferson,

The composition is Aluminum-Bronze and the size is between a quarter and half dollar in diameter.

wedding_Tunisia.jpg

There exsists a possibility this coin once adorned a Tunisian Bride, here's a actual photo of a couple from Tunisia about to enter into matrimony.

Aluminum-Bronze, I have no idea how something of that composition would react to tone as such. Perhaps one side came into contact with a camel?

WoodenJefferson... :roflmao:

It is a well known fact that camel sweat causes discoloration of coins within the first 10 minutes of contact....

Yes, it is a bit larger than a quarter, and its a bronze alloy. My leading theory is possibly dip residue? But like you, I have no idea how that would react with this composition.

The reverse appears to have more wear than the obverse, so I'm going to guess that it was attached to something obverse-out, which caused both the wear and the discoloration.

BTW, I like the alternating denticles!

Can you interpret the writing?