• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How bad is this 1878CC Morgan?

11 posts in this topic

Somewhere between About Good and About Had It. (shrug)

Chris

Oh Shuddup you :makepoint:

Its looks to be a cleaned and retoned coin at a "FINE"

Welcome aboard

Thanks for the input.

I am new to this and I am learning that rather than buy, I need to study and learn more and when I think I have learned enough to start buying, I need to study some more. Problem is, the more I study and the more I think I know, the more eager I am to start buying!

I am curious and perhaps its very obvious but if you would be so kind, can you help my by answering a few questions?

1) Looking at Photograde and the AMA Grading Standards Books, I guessed that this would go F-12. What are the reasons this may go AG or VG?

2) How do you know this coin has been cleaned?

3) How do you know this has been retoned? Would this be the same as AT?

The coin does have the look of a coin that has been fiddled with! I would say VG10.

Then it might be the crappie scanned picture?

1878CCjpg-1.jpg

Properly grading a coin by images is a doubtful task at best, but you can still get a pretty good idea of what a coin could possibly grade out at. With this one, the Reverse is the factor that drags this coin to below Fine details. With Fine, the rim needs to be raised and sharp in all areas. The area marked indicates that the rim has worn down into the field, points off for that. I also feel that there just way to many individual feathers missing in the eagles left wing tip, (his right) more points off to bring this down to Very Good.

The Obverse has nice even wear and does show complete rims, but the wear in the hair is just a bit too much for this coin to garner a Fine condition status. There are no distracting nicks, tics or cuts in this coin, so that is a positive for this particular grade…in other words, to me, it would be a solid VG.

Note: I would need to see this coin in hand to go further with VG-10, VG-8 or VG-6, the differences are just to subtle to distinguish with an on-line image.

Welcome aboard

Thanks for all of the help and information! This was actually in an NGC holder but I am unsure what the description means. Anyone?

1878CCNGCCirculated.jpg

I took a shot at this and bid around $51. I was beat and the final bid was $65. This was going to be the first CC for Bobby & Jonathan's collection. I was thinking at $51, this would give them a good coin to trade with.

Thanks again for all of the input. If anyone could explain what the caption on the NGC holder means, I would greatly appreciate it!

Bob, Bobby & Jonathan

The Carson City Hoard, supposedly named for the hoard of Morgan Dollars that were found in 1971. The NGC slab is just for authentication and stating that it is in circulated condition.

1) Looking at Photograde and the AMA Grading Standards Books, I guessed that this would go F-12. What are the reasons this may go AG or VG?

The "AG" grade estimate was way off base. The coin is a solid VG by sharpness and close to Fine. The reason for the VG is the obverse, which is lost a lot of detail. The reverse is Fine, but since the obverse is usually 65 to 70 percent of the grade, the coin is a VG.

2) How do you know this coin has been cleaned?

Natural circulation patterns on the toning would not look like this. The dull light gray color is indicative of a cleaning with an abrasive, like baking soda. The darker areas are were probably part of an attempt to hide hairlines and bright spots from the cleaning.

3) How do you know this has been retoned? Would this be the same as AT?

The term"AT" is usually applied to much higher grade coins that have been given artificial color so that the piece can be sold to people who admire such things at a higher (often much higher) price. But in a matter of speaking what has been done to this piece could be called AT also since the surfaces have been changed to hide a cleaning.