• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of this 1867 proof IHC?

5 posts in this topic

I think that the NGC grade is probably correct although it's almost impossible to grade these things from a photo. You really have to see Proof coins like this in person.

It concerns me that the piece is toning. That could be an indicator that the coin was dipped and some residue on it that is still reacting with the metal. I don’t want to ruin you day, but if this toning is forming in a matter of weeks or a couple of months it could be cause for concern.

If it is toning unnaturally, I don’t know how to help you. The TPG should provide some support here, but I don’t know if they will. I’ve seen some PCGS Proof Indians that went totally south and the results were not pretty. PCGS did not back them up. AND if it makes you feel any better, a MAJOR dealer bought these coins thinking that they were OK. Even the experts can be fooled on this stuff.

Anaconda Rare Coins sold a lot of certified proof Indians that were toned. I also see many certified toned Indians being sold on Heritage. The toning on this coin looks natural to me but as Bill said even experts like a TPG can be fooled. I like the coin. Dean I have a MS65 Indian head that looks similar to the photo you use in your profile.

Here it is :

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2486694#Post2486694

I like it and judging from the pics--it looks very clear of marks for a 63...if you got it for 63BN price I think you did quite well...I'm no expert on copper toning but it looks fine to me..