• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Something different

10 posts in this topic

I've seen nice Peace dollars but this one is fantastic. It's a little weak on the reverse but not quite as weak as the picture shows and the eagle is nice an frosted.

. It's got a couple teeth marks on the neck and a little surface scuff. I'm not too familiar with Peace Dollar grading ,so let me know what you think. I may send it in to NGC next month.I added a second obverse that shows the fields better.I need different lighting.These have a yellowish cast too them.The coin is white as can be.Thanks again.Pete

23PD5.jpg

23PD4.jpg

23PD3.jpg

Well,if you guys say 64-65 from my pictures,it must be 66-67?HA!!kidding.As the saying goes,"I've seen worse in a 65 holder".If I were sure of a 65 I'd send it in.Even if it got 64 I wouldn't be losing anything.

I have not seen a lot of MS-65 Peace dollars, especially from these early dates. The coin usually has a weak strike in the legends on the reverse, which precludes the grade. Yes, grades are a function of strike when you get into the MS-65 and higher levels. A mark-free coin with a poor to mediocre strike can end up in an MS-64 holder.

Having said that I think this coin might make MS-64, but my concern is that it might be too cloudy. The cloudiness might be from the scan. Still bright white luster does count, sometimes a lot. I’ve seen coins that I would have graded a point lower due to marks get the extra point because of luster.

For reference, here an NGC MS-64, 1923 Peace Dollar from my type set.

1923DollarO.jpg1923DollarR.jpg

I may send it in anyway one day soon.While the pictures came out really good. That haziness is not from the coin. We shall see.Thanks guys,Pete

Funny thing as I am looking at this coin. I truly love the design and am steering at it here wondering why I never was moved to collect them. I have collected every other coin but those hmmm Strange aye I must be having a Disorder with My Disorder (OCD) heheh

Even though it's mine,the closer I look at the picture the more I like it. I keep finding cool stuff.Especially the great profile and butter smooth cheek.The reverse isn't quite what it could be,but it looks better in hand.