• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you grade this '49 Franklin?

11 posts in this topic

I say 65, not to sure about the FBL though. Looks weak on the right side. But if there's alot of luster, which it looks like from the picture, and nice eye appeal it might get into a 66 slab. Nice coin (thumbs u

63FBL. The prominent edge ding on the bell and the right angle mark on Ben's temple would be my limiting factors. Even so, it's a great coin.

Your image on the reverse really captures the flow lines as they emanate from a central point and flow outward to the rim. I would imagine that there is a significant amount of cartwheel luster going with this Frankie.

If not for the reed dings, and the latter die state, (not a full LDS, but lacking a bit of definition in Ben’s hair for a 49) this one would have scored fairly well…as is, I dub thee MS-65

To me, the FBL designation is up in the air, it could very well go either way, but it is not a lock on this example.

Nice Franklin

Thanks for all of the opinions!

With most people saying 65/66, I suppose I will have to submit it before I sell. :)

First it needs a dip, though. Some residue (from a fingerprint or such) has appeared across Ben's face. :(

Normally, I would agree. Unfortunately, the coin no longer looks like the image. :(

I will post updated images late next week before I dip it to get opinions.