• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An Interview with JOHN ALBANESE by Maurice Rosen
2 2

164 posts in this topic

On 2/25/2021 at 8:26 PM, MAULEMALL said:

My 3 afib procedures ,My NASH Cirrhosis and encephalopathy aren't an excuse to "lighten up".. 

Even when I was flatlining...

On the contrary.. Be a Man Quinton.

[Man I miss this guy!] 🐓 

On 8/24/2022 at 10:14 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

John Albanese posts now in his CAC Forum on the CAC website....had some good information in some of the posts, might go back and grab some of the more important ones.  You never know if they'll disappear.

It’s unlikely he will be banned from that forum.😉

On 2/26/2021 at 6:40 AM, Ray, USMC said:

Listen to Maulemall as his advice is sound and embrace your situations, fight like hell. Accept the fact that your wife is probably way stronger than you give her credit for. If your enemy detects weakness you will not win. Just my opinion.

I don't have any enemies I am aware of.  You know what that means.  I am dead and stinking.

On 12/28/2023 at 10:48 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

BUMP:  The OP interview on Page 1 is relevant for CACG discussion.  I couldn't link to this thread for some reason, maybe because it was created so long ago.

This revealing thread preceded my arrival by a good ten years. Great public service in reviving it for all, old and new like.  Thanks for the memories!  (thumbsu

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die-polishing

On 2/15/2024 at 12:17 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

JA's interview with Maurice Rosen is an even more fascinating read when you read this late-2022 piece from CoinWeek about the starting up of CACG:

https://coinweek.com/a-cac-grading-service-coinweek-interview-with-john-albanese/

I believe it was during this interview that JA disclosed unbelievably long turn-around times (nine months) at the advent of one TPGS.  Kind of you to rescue it and re-post it!  (thumbsu

Maybe Mark or someone who has worked as a grader or knows their operations can answer this question:  am I correct that these "grading sets" I am reading about are actual high-quality (and expensive !) actual coins that the graders and the companies use as guides to help in grading ? :|

I read that JA intends to spend "millions" on sets and have his graders look at them weekly.  :o

Why would TPGs do this when ultra-high resolution photos can do the same thing at a fraction of the cost ?  Why spend millions accumulating all kinds of different coin series, years, and mints.... and also presumably on ultra-rare coins ?

Is CACG really going to go out and get a lower-graded -- but still super-expensive -- 1927-D Saint or 1930-S ?   Has this been done in the past ?

On 2/25/2024 at 10:11 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Maybe Mark or someone who has worked as a grader or knows their operations can answer this question:  am I correct that these "grading sets" I am reading about are actual high-quality (and expensive !) actual coins that the graders and the companies use as guides to help in grading ? :|

I read that JA intends to spend "millions" on sets and have his graders look at them weekly.  :o

Why would TPGs do this when ultra-high resolution photos can do the same thing at a fraction of the cost ?  Why spend millions accumulating all kinds of different coin series, years, and mints.... and also presumably on ultra-rare coins ?

Is CACG really going to go out and get a lower-graded -- but still super-expensive -- 1927-D Saint or 1930-S ?   Has this been done in the past ?

...same reason diamond graders have real diamonds in their master sets...u dont have to have every date n mint to have a grading set....