• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

An Interview with JOHN ALBANESE by Maurice Rosen
2 2

167 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

If that's what you call it, you're worth every penny.

I have no need for your baubles :popcorn:... 

We started 2 new resturaunts last week, 10,000 square ft, We still are renovating an apartment complex 4 of the 10 done, And I am retired so my days are a mile a minute with money being forced upon me whilst the days warm... 60's on the morrow and after..

NGC doesn't need my money, They have emergency coinage to label (For a major pittance no doubt)...

AND LETS NOT FORGET COMIX BOOKS....

NGC is fine fiscally... They even have a comic mod who does nothing but monitor me for almost infractions...Coming close is good enough to slam the hammer..lol

If only I had had the genius to post a dog doing his business ,I too would have been held in such esteem and even given a unique signature...lol

Clearly, collectibles (everything from comic books to movie props) are a big business and probably why the PE guys wanted Collectors Universe.

Since NGC is private, they can maneuver as they see fit.

On 7/12/2008 at 4:14 PM, mommam17 said:

Sorry, you`ll have to find out on your own. I`m not getting sued, Thank you.

An interesting way of escaping.  :popcorn:

22 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

They even have a comic mod who does nothing but monitor me for almost infractions

I have been a member, off and on, since Sleepy Hollow began.  I also consider myself a keeper of past postings.  Therefore, I demand to be 'monitored'. :devil:

36 minutes ago, Alex in PA. said:

I have been a member, off and on, since Sleepy Hollow began.  I also consider myself a keeper of past postings.  Therefore, I demand to be 'monitored'. :devil:

You haven't run afoul of the clique.... yet...lol

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Well, you heard it here first. The coin show in Baltimore is on for November with MAULEMALL's unflinching vote of confidence.  (Two THOUSAND-plus restaurants have closed in New York City in the wake of the pandemic, many vowing to never re-open again.)  All the best!

:roflmao: It depends on what bats are on the menu...

1 hour ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Well, you heard it here first. The coin show in Baltimore is on for November with MAULEMALL's unflinching vote of confidence.  (Two THOUSAND-plus restaurants have closed in New York City in the wake of the pandemic, many vowing to never re-open again.)  All the best!

A good friend of mine has 5 restaurants here in Richmond... He relayed a story of another acquaintance who got a loan from the first relief act , the one were if you paid wages you wouldn't have to pay it back... He bought a Bently...$300K.. I said well he's going to have to pay it back and H (My friend) said "Sure... but the interest is only 1%.... 

If your new York resturaunts are closing it's because they are getting millions for pennies and they are sweating it later...

If you need any more real life lessons explained I Suggest you call the friends you paid for...lol

8 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

You haven't run afoul of the clique.... yet...lol

I second that emotion.

8 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

A good friend of mine has 5 restaurants here in Richmond... He relayed a story of another acquaintance who got a loan from the first relief act , the one were if you paid wages you wouldn't have to pay it back... He bought a Bently...$300K.. I said well he's going to have to pay it back and H (My friend) said "Sure... but the interest is only 1%.... 

If your new York resturaunts are closing it's because they are getting millions for pennies and they are sweating it later...

If you need any more real life lessons explained I Suggest you call the friends you paid for...lol

Tell ya what, refuse to ENABLE COOKIES, which is usually conveyed to you in various pop-ups conceived by entrepreneurial types and presented a

9 hours ago, Alex in PA. said:

s an outright order, as in, ACCEPT with no other tab made available for NOT NOW or REMIND ME LATER, then come back to me and tell me whether the arrest and unprecedented immediate release of Mexico's equivalent of a defense department minister was a bribe, a gesture of friendship, or an accelerated case of let bygones be bygones. Re: Alex... institutional memory is indispensable; your use of emojis is inoffensive and you're the only person on the Forum who has mastered the art of saying a lot -- without uttering a single word. Now, that's saying something!

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

For years I have read the CAC thread posted ATS and wondered when it would get here.  In comparison this has been a well mannered thread and a very educational read.  

What's the gist of the CAC discussion over at CU ?

1 hour ago, Alex in PA. said:

Bout the same but some time ago it was dog eat dog.  I think the last one was relatively calm.   

So basic pros vs. cons......I think that most CAC stickers are on PCGS as opposed to NGC (FWIW) so I would think that would be of special interest over at CU.

My feeling is...I'm not obsessed with CAC but I am not vehemently against it, either.  I can certainly understand if someone feels their extensive collection has been monetarily devalued because it doesn't have CAC stickers galore (I still feel any collection would still valuable without CAC stickers). 

And just because something doesn't have a CAC does NOT mean it is a "C" coin.

maybe maybe not but try to convince the potential buyer of that.....also the number of pcgs coins verse the number of ngc coins with cac stickers is based solely on how many of each r submitted n how many of each meet the criteria, if ur point is that more pcgs coins meet the criteria than ngc coins then thats an arguable point...my personal experience is that more pcgs coins dont meet the cac criteria, i almost without exception cross over all my US coin purchases to ngc before submitting to cac....one additional thing to consider, virtually all of the major auction houses have their higher level collections reviewed for cac criteria before the collections r cataloged, read into that whatever u wish...

15 minutes ago, zadok said:

maybe maybe not but try to convince the potential buyer of that.....also the number of pcgs coins verse the number of ngc coins with cac stickers is based solely on how many of each r submitted n how many of each meet the criteria, if ur point is that more pcgs coins meet the criteria than ngc coins then thats an arguable point...my personal experience is that more pcgs coins dont meet the cac criteria, i almost without exception cross over all my US coin purchases to ngc before submitting to cac....one additional thing to consider, virtually all of the major auction houses have their higher level collections reviewed for cac criteria before the collections r cataloged, read into that whatever u wish...

No, I think more PCGS have CAC but it has nothing to do with quality or grading of the coins that each has submitted.  If there was a PCGS gap in favor of tighter grading 10-15 years or so ago, I think it has narrowed or disappeared.  Others can chime in who actually spend more time on this and actually submit coins.  I freely admit I am going with anectdotal evidence.

Some really badly graded coins....outliers, not the norm...do seem to be PCGS graded.  Not many, but I've seen them in various forums.  Maybe NGC had that problem 20+ years ago and it took a while to shake that reputation.

2 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

And just because something doesn't have a CAC does NOT mean it is a "C" coin.

Maybe. Let's be honest here. Have you never, not once, come across a CAC-stickered coin and sat there wondering what all the CACkling was about? Simply amazing how one grader gets paid to render an opinion -- which rises when the goddess of FMV deems it to be a factor -- and another grader is paid to say, "Yup, sure looks like one to me" -- or not. I am not an investor and I am not a collector. Many strive for perfection but for various reasons do not, will not or simply cannot achieve it. "They" say my collection is complete but I won't be satisfied until every crooked path grade-wise is made straight. 

Regarding the Albanese interview. . . He is a gentleman who appears to have been groomed as a businessman to hold his cards close to his chest. He will divulge information he may deem to be personal or confidential on a need-to-know basis only. I have no problem or opinion on that. We are free to speculate but can't argue with success. 

2 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

No, I think more PCGS have CAC but it has nothing to do with quality or grading of the coins that each has submitted.  If there was a PCGS gap in favor of tighter grading 10-15 years or so ago, I think it has narrowed or disappeared.  Others can chime in who actually spend more time on this and actually submit coins.  I freely admit I am going with anectdotal evidence.

Some really badly graded coins....outliers, not the norm...do seem to be PCGS graded.  Not many, but I've seen them in various forums.  Maybe NGC had that problem 20+ years ago and it took a while to shake that reputation.

Its all about how much bling you can pimp your slab with...

Think grafittie on headstones...

2 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Maybe. Let's be honest here. Have you never, not once, come across a CAC-stickered coin and sat there wondering what all the CACkling was about? Simply amazing how one grader gets paid to render an opinion -- which rises when the goddess of FMV deems it to be a factor -- and another grader is paid to say, "Yup, sure looks like one to me" -- or not. I am not an investor and I am not a collector. Many strive for perfection but for various reasons do not, will not or simply cannot achieve it. "They" say my collection is complete but I won't be satisfied until every crooked path grade-wise is made straight. Regarding the Albanese interview. . . He is a gentleman who appears to have been groomed as a businessman to hold his cards close to his chest. He will divulge information he may deem to be personal or confidential on a need-to-know basis only. I have no problem or opinion on that. We are free to speculate but can't argue with success. 

Fair points....another well-skilled veteran noted that if you complained in the past about loose grading standards, then you can't complain about CAC since they are separating the weak coins from the strong ones in a particular grade.

25 minutes ago, MAULEMALL said:

Talk to the spellchecker... I don't waste time on minutia ...:whistle:

Minutiae. Without that "e" you've got a genetic mutation.😉

33 minutes ago, Quintus Arrius said:

Minutiae. Without that "e" you've got a genetic mutation.😉

It's amazing how fitting this as a response to some of your ramblings.:whistle:

What does minutia mean in Latin?
Minutia Has Latin Roots Minutia was borrowed into English in the late 18th century from the Latin plural noun minutiae, meaning "trifles" or "details" and derived from the singular noun minutia, meaning "smallness." In English, minutia is most often used in the plural as either minutiae or, on occasion, as simply minutia.

2 hours ago, MAULEMALL said:

It's amazing how fitting this as a response to some of your ramblings.:whistle:

What does minutia mean in Latin?
Minutia Has Latin Roots Minutia was borrowed into English in the late 18th century from the Latin plural noun minutiae, meaning "trifles" or "details" and derived from the singular noun minutia, meaning "smallness." In English, minutia is most often used in the plural as either minutiae or, on occasion, as simply minutia.

What can I say?  You've got that je ne sais quoi quality. Let's just say that there is more to you than meets the eye, but you're upsetting the people who expected you to keep your promise to ignore me. 😉

8 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

What can I say?  You've got that je ne sais quoi quality. Let's just say that there is more to you than meets the eye, but you're upsetting the people who expected you to keep your promise to ignore me. 😉

I have a responsibility to expose fraud... It's my comic book code.:popcorn:

11 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

[ My atrial fibrillation (since surgically corrected) forces me to wear a heart monitor which to me is more intrusive than an ankle bracelet. I've got to be within 30 feet of the receiver, fully charged, at all times. So if it seems I have simmered down some, that's the reason why. 

My 3 afib procedures ,My NASH Cirrhosis and encephalopathy aren't an excuse to "lighten up".. 

Even when I was flatlining...

On the contrary.. Be a Man Quinton.

1 hour ago, MAULEMALL said:

My 3 afib procedures ,My NASH Cirrhosis and encephalopathy aren't an excuse to "lighten up".. 

Even when I was flatlining...

On the contrary.. Be a Man Quinton.

And what do you suggest for a 3.7 cm. ascending aortal anueurism.  I told a P.A. I couldn't wait for it to relax and go away. She stopped, wheeled around and eyes widened said, "who told you it was going to go away?  I don't worry about me. My only concern is my wife.

7 hours ago, Quintus Arrius said:

And what do you suggest for a 3.7 cm. ascending aortal anueurism.  I told a P.A. I couldn't wait for it to relax and go away. She stopped, wheeled around and eyes widened said, "who told you it was going to go away?  I don't worry about me. My only concern is my wife.

You act like you have a say in Any of this.