• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just can't he'p it!

26 posts in this topic

Here's a couple more fairly inexpensive type coins that I needed. I need to make a submission of lots of the raw coins I've picked up lately. Eight of them will fit in my registry set. (thumbs u But that means that all of the remaining coins needed are more of the big ticket items.

Feedback, comments?

61191-00aa.jpg.516f23fc14c4b165384af7aaa6b5da06.jpg

61192-00a.jpg.1195703724a38c4914b579ac0963d342.jpg

61193-00b.jpg.7078020b899344d7371cd2c426bec035.jpg

61194-0a.jpg.6967316195015963a04720aec5cf5a1d.jpg

Thanks, guys. I was hoping to get a sweet, toned half dime like Toyo and Randy have but I reckon that they've corned the market since I haven't found any. :þ

I hope that both of the coins are as good as the pics suggest. We'll find out.

Zach, that large dime is right up your alley. It cost me $150, the HD was $310.

So, if all of my coins will come back slabbed then that will mean that I will have just 15 coins to go on the 116 coin type set.

The ones remaining are most of the early Federal issues but for the large cent which I have covered.

I am still astonished that I have both a chain S-1 cent and a 1793 and 94 wreath cents. Sure, the chain cent is a poor but it sure is a nice poor!

I do have an AG3 1796 dime. Considering that only 22,000 of 'em were minted over 2000 years ago, I'm darn happy to have a problem-free example of this type.

And, I aaaain't got no mo' of the 1700's stuff. Bummer 'cause we're talking big bucks here. Don't even fool yourself if you think that you can get a nice, slabbed early coin at the prices Coin World quotes. It ain't goin' ta happen.

I figure that a decent example of most of the remaining coins will average around $3-4K. That is most definitely excluding the Gobrecht Dollar, the 1796 quarter and half. The #@!$%&* 1792 not a half dime and the 1793 half cent. Plus all of the other early dollar and half dime types. Hey, I just realized that with the purchase of this 1821 dime, my dime slots are full. That's cool.

Well, those are my rambling thoughts about the direction my type set will be taking. Professor Tom, now's your chance to put it in overdrive and pass me up, bud. ;)

First off, Lovely coins Victor! :applause: I particularly like the 1/2 dime. (thumbs u

I do have an AG3 1796 dime. Considering that only 22,000 of 'em were minted over 2000 years ago, I'm darn happy to have a problem-free example of this type...

Ummmm, do you count your bandages and instruments when you sew someone up? :baiting:

If you like tiny coins, then those are beauties (seriously though, that half dime is excellent.) Congrats on making it so far with your type set, and good luck on the rest of them.

Thanks, bud. (thumbs u

I also like that "HALF DIME" is fully raised and not weakly struck as it is on so many in the series.

Vic, you should have gone for a dime from the next year in that grade. :grin:

I was watching that half dime last night and waiting to snipe. But it jumped over what I thought it was worth to me in the last few minutes. I already have an 1843 that I bought in a gold PCI MS64 holder. I thought it was a nice MS62 and paid strong 62 money. ANACS called it a 61 and I'm not sure it's worth resubmitting. :(

So, I was going for the low end on the PCGS coin. I was also concerned with the right obverse fields that show up better on the large obverse picture that you didn't post. That and the marks on the reverse made me think it was low end for a 63. The luster is good and PCGS likes luster. The pictures are taken at an angle and the coin may look much nicer in hand. I'm sure that you will post better pictures when it arrives. (thumbs u

If registry points concern you at all, here’s something that might make you feel better about the coins you are missing in your type set. The very scarce early U.S. coins get shortchanged when it comes to registry points. If you want to get more points for you dollars, buy high grade 20th century stuff. Dollar for dollar owning a 1917 Type I Standing Liberty Quarter in MS-67 gets you further ahead than owning a $30 thousand dollar 1796 quarter in VF. The MS-65, Full Head I have for that type, and that coin does not cut it.

I know. I’m there. I’ve got all the early types in VF-25 to MS-61, I’m well behind guys who have much lower grade coins in those slots.

Stef, you're allowed. ;)

Randy, it makes me feel better knowing you wanted to snipe the half dime. I think the obverse right is from light. It will definitely be scrutinized once I get it in hand. I can live with the reverse since the denomination is clearly struck.

Bill, points are not at the top of my priority list. Eye-appeal regardless of the grade is usually my goal although I have fallen short on this goal a time or two before.

I like the 1821 dime very much!

Why, thank you, James. I'm surprised that it hasn't drawn too many comments. Just you and Zach, I think.

Hopefully, it will be as nice in hand.

Sorry Vic. I just made a smart remark about the dime's date and didn't say how nice and original it looks. The white balance if off in the picture but I think it will look great in hand.

Here's the large obverse picture of the half dime. I was a bit concerned about the right field and Liberty's shin. The marks are probably ok for an MS63 but these coins are so small that it doesn't take many tiny marks to bring the grade way down. I did think it was nice enough to take a shot at and I may have bid stronger if I didn't already have the date. I hope it looks good in hand. I usually set my expectations low when buying coins like this and I'm often pleasantly surprised. :)

Edit:

I forgot to say that I agree with you on the strike. It looks very sharp. I can't remember if that is normal for this date but many of the later date issues get a bit mushy.

61282-a7da_3.jpg.280090054b7b9a64715c063628de9922.jpg

Heck, LT, it'd take a whole lot more than that to offend me. You certainly helped me understand trimes better and I'm no less willing to learn more about the HD's.

If you could get back to me about how sharp the strike is usually on the 1843 coin, I'd appreciate it. Heck, even almost all of the stars are fully struck.

This coin isn't exactly what I was looking for but it is close (apparently w/o seeing it in hand).

I'll keep you updated but it will probably be awhile since I sent seller a check instead of paypal.

13930983O.jpg13930983R.jpg

Well, a lot of people don't like small coins like trimes and half dimes. But I don't have a need to compensate for anything so small coins are fine for me. lol

I'll check my references and see if anything is mentioned about this date. I'm sure that I have a picture of mine somewhere too. If it was a trime with those stars it would be hammered. But I think that date is usually strong on the half dimes. Some of the mid 50's are really sad looking compared to the earlier issues.

As I suspected, the 1843 usually comes sharply struck and with nice luster. I checked mine and it is very well struck too. I still think mine is nicer than an MS61 but it doesn't have the luster that yours appears to have.

The first two stars on the right seem to suffer most in strike, on seated coinage, but yours are nice, Victor, as is the fully struck ribbon knot on the reverse. Plus, the head has full hair detail. That is a well struck half dime.

The 1821 dime is nice too. Just not as nice as the half dime.

Thanks for the feedback, Randy and Charlie. That's good info to know.

p.s. I just won an 1863 PR64 HD on teletrade. It looks like a nice cameo even though it is not designated such.

The description makes it sing. Now, let's hope that the writer is as honest as James. :þ