• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for the Large Cent experts...

15 posts in this topic

Is it an unreasonable expectation for me to find an 1853 Large Cent in MS65 (preferably Brown) which has all of the stars fully struck ?

I can find some decent ones but none that have all the stars fully struck up. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist or is just more patience in order ?

Thanks.

I think you are asking a lot to find one of these coins with all the stars fully struck. This applies to any coin graded MS-65. You might find it on an MS-66 graded coin, but finding the coin period is going to be hard.

Richard, that depends on what your definition of "full" is. Strictly speaking, however, the odds are very strongly against it. Even MS66's usually display some weakness on a number of the stars. You might find one with most of the stars relatively fully struck, however.

It will be hard to find, but not impossible. 1853 is not a date that often comes fully struck, and this is the case for all of the '50's large cents. Luckily, '53 is a relatively common date, so with some patience you should be able to find one. It may take you a year or three however..Mike

Thank you Bill and Mark.

I really don't know the copper stuff well but was lucky to pick up a nice Half Cent (IMO) for my 1853 year set. I've been trying to find an equally well struck Large Cent to compliment the Half Cent.

Funds wise I'm trying to limit myself for a Large Cent in the 65BR range. It's just that the strike on the Half Cent is so much nicer than what I've seen on the Large Cents in the same grade, that side by side I think the Half Cent might make the Large Cent look bad.... jeez, I don't even know if that makes sense.... lol.

Thanks again for the responses, I appreciate it.

Edit: Thanks Mike as well, I didn't see your reply before posting the above.

Half cents are generally found MUCH better struck than their larger cousins. Has to do with the size of the coin versus the striking pressure, as I understand it.

Personally, I'd wait for one that's eye appealing, relatively carbon-free, and with good natural color rather than fully-struck -- but that's just me.

Stay patient, and if you want a fully struck coin, wait for one, but be ready to pay for it when it does...Mike

You would be assuming the dies had fully delineated stars on them to begin with! So in essence, you could be looking at a fully struck coin that accurately reflects worn dies.

Very few late-date large cents are "fully struck" from the standpoint of a mental image of what's ideal.

You guys are great, that's why when I'm serious about my coins I come here... not that I don't play around elsewhere but I know THIS is the place to bring my serious stuff. Thanks.

Nice looking Cent Mike !

Here's the last 2 I've tried to convince myself on both PCGS MS65BR's (not my pics). Just based on the pics these seem nicer than some others I looked at that had dark spots etc.

79755.jpg

3359_1.jpg3489_1.jpg

Sorry about the big pics here, but this is my Half Cent and while maybe not a completely FULL strike you can see what I was talking about with the stars. I'd just like to find a Large cent that will compliment the Half Cent for my year set.

maineconnecticutandhalfcent007.jpg

maineconnecticutandhalfcent008.jpg

FWIW, I think that first '53 large cent is a nice one, very nice, and seems to match the look of your half cent. Again, personaly, I wouldn't get caught up in finding one with fully struck stars -- but it's what YOU want that really matters.

I think the first coin is a great match for the half-center even though the stars aren't all there, IMO.