• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greetings!

11 posts in this topic

I am new to this board, and I wanted to say hello.

Here is a question about NGCs grading. Would you say that they are pretty consistent with high-end mint state Washington quarters and Roosevelt dimes? I own a few NGC MS67 pieces, and I am thinking of adding more to the collection.

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan, Welcome!

I collect high grade early Washington's (32-64) and I've found NGC's grading very consistent and accurate in my opinion. Far more so than PCGS.

Andy laugh.gif

Welcome!

I can't say on Washington's either - my only modern experience is that NGC is a bit loose on the later date Walkers. But that was before their recent tightening.

As always, I profess that you'll find gems and gifts in either PCGS or NGC holders. Evaluate the price and quality of the coin independent of the holder!

Welcome Dan!

I also collect high end Washington's (32-64) and feel that NGC does a good job of properly grading them. Of the other grading services available I believe that ANACS does almost as well, while PCGS coins are overpriced due to their scaricity in high grades.

Have fun and remember the mantra "buy the coin, not the holder". smile.gif

Doug

Hi Dan,

Welcome. My limited experience has been that NGC is every bit as realistic grading Washingtons, and that they can be had in high grades way under PCGS money due to this crazy two-tier pricing system we see in certain series.

I have to say, that I have been buying a lot of beautiful, correctly graded NGC coins lately, way under the money of what the PCGS plastic would cost. I am doing this with all confidence that some day down the road... truly the coin itself will be what matters.

Carl

I have several dozen quarters. In fact most of them are NGC slabbed. The reason, I could lay out on my table a 67 NGC and it graded the same as all my other 67 NGC's. The PCGS coins I could not do that with. This is even more true for me with Washington proofs.

Welcome: I collect MS66/67 Roosevelt Dimes. I have about 50/50% PCGS and NGC. Frankly, I do not see much difference between them. If you can buy NGC coins for less money, buy the coin not the slab. tongue.gif

I have attached a scan of a 1949-P NGC Dime from my collection for your viewing pleasure.

60712-1949P.jpg.ccc13643d1b54558b26a1816979e567d.jpg