• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Because of all the input on my AT Commems...

7 posts in this topic

Too bad cause, again, it LOOKS to be in a high grade condition, and all the bidding for it agreed.

This seller has conducted over 2600 eBay transactions. What are the odds that he doesn't know how to grade?

Someone paid MS64 money for that coin. It is probably a low grade une that has been abused before being ATed or it is a high grade AU. Either way it is a $70 coin before the AT.

I bought a couple of NGC two-cent pieces from this seller several weeks ago. Looking at the way he grades his raw coins I decided never to bid on any coins outside of a slab from him. After seeing all these AT'd coins I think I'll just avoid this seller all together (I reserve the right to change my mind if I see a really good deal on an NGC or PCGS graded coin grin.gif)

I did not pursue this Huguenot from the same seller.

Too bad cause, again, it LOOKS to be in a high grade condition, and all the bidding for it agreed (or maybe it was just the AT).

David

LOOKS can be deceiving! You've already purchased 2 coins from this seller - from the pictures, I think they're all AT, including the one you didn't bid on - notice how it looks nearly identical to one of those that you purchased? Very unusual if NT (no 2 coins tone exactly alike), but the near identical toning is an indication that it may well be AT. Don't feel too bad about passing on this latest coin, just send the Seller a "want list" of which toned comms you want, & I bet he'll "discover" them in an "estate" soon enough - almost like "made to order"!! BUT, the proof will be when you receive the coins you purchased & try & have them graded by PCGS or NGC. BEFORE you send them in for grading, you might want to take them to a major show (FUN, ANA, Central States, Long Beach), show them to reputable dealers, PCGS, NGC, other grading services (ANACS), etc. and get the opinions of those who are familiar with the process of ATing silver coins. I know if you show them to ANACs they will give you a free opinion & they will explain what surface alterations have occurred, whether the toning is natural (NT) or artifical (AT). They may even give you some insight as to what was done to the coins and how it was done.

If you don't have the time (ie - you have to return the coins within xx days to get a refund), a least look at the coins carefully in a good light with a good magnifying glass, or if you have one, with a microscope. In other words, take the time to learn from this experience. The tragedy is not making a mistake, the real tragedy is NOT LEARNING from a mistake! crazy.gif

I wrote an article about using a good magnifying glass & light to learn how to grade coins (it deals with IHCs, but is applicable to all coins) - if you're interested PM me & I'll send you a link as it's on the indianheads.org & the fly-in club website.

Good luck!

If you don't have the time...

The seller of the ATed Commems I got does not advertise a return policy on his bid sheets, but their home page gives a 5 day return NQA, except proof and mint sets, and slabbed coins. I intend to send them back as soon as I get them and take some REAL good pics of them to post for others to see and learn from.

I have already immersed myself into knowing a AT when I see one vs a NT. Both are all over eBay and Heritage auction archives. Have done extensive searching and looking and taking notes and LEARNING!

Have also done some experimenting with ATing myself. I have a gas stove. I rotisseried a few Jeffs over the flame and watched it turn into a beautiful "rainbowed" coin and from there, to a brown slug. All the Jeffs toned about the same coloring if pulled fromthe flame at about the same time.

I sincerely appreciate all the time everyone has taken to post replies, suggestions, opinions, etc. This is why I came from across the street. I know I would have gotten the same types of responses but the wording would have been more slanted toward "what a insufficiently_thoughtful_person!" As if I should have known better or no one there has ever done something similar.

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL!!!!

David