• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sending coins in to be slabbed..

5 posts in this topic

let's say i have a coin that might be worth $400 if it grades MS64, and in 63 it's worth $200. now let's say the slab co. i'm sending it to has a tier for coins worth less than $300, and another for ones worth more than $300. one is $18 and the other is $30 to send them in.

would paying the $30 help my grade? it shouldn't, but do you think it does? are the graders oblivious to that info?

I have sent many raw coins to PCGS and NGC under the less expensive economy tier where the grade of MS66 might infer the piece had a value of $100-$200 and the grade of MS67 might infer the piece had a value of $1,800-$2,000 and I have received a majority of MS67 grades in those cases.

From what I've heard, NGC will not charge the extra money if the value is close. If the value is a major difference in the next highest grade, then they might have something to say!

From what I've heard, NGC will not charge the extra money if the value is close. If the value is a major difference in the next highest grade, then they might have something to say!

I never had that experiece. I paid $109.00 for the 2006 S.A.E Anniversary set in 2006 from the U.S. Mint so theoretically each coin would cost about $36.00. I sent the Reverse proof in and it came back a PF70 nad nothing was said.