• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My first Medallic purchase in a long time-Columbian Expo 1893

8 posts in this topic

Absolutely gorgeous prooflike Danish medal from the World's Columbian Exposition, 65mm, white metal, with Columbia leading Columbus on the deck of his ship, hand in hand. Medal is one of the more striking of all the many Columbian pieces struck in 1892 and 1893 for the exposition in Chicago. The design on the obverse shows them on the deck presumably of the Santa Maria with a radiating sun behind them and a wide rim with type around the outside. The reverse shows fair buildings below a scroll in the middle with a massive eagle above.

59913-Columbus.jpg.6d8529f721b0dafafcb7dc2c2340193b.jpg

Vic, congrats on a neat purchase. That is a very interesting medal. I have not seen this particular one before. Absolutely, gorgeous.

Jim

I did a google search and only found one example in an auction catalog but the page was missing. :P

Rey,

Nice pickup and great price.

Vic,

Madmarty2 has what appears to be a copper one like yours in his registry set-no HK numbers either. NGC lists it as 1892-93 IL 64.9mm E-37 BZ GUANAHANI.

Jim

Madmarty2 registry set of medals

1946365-001O.jpg

Thanks for info! That answered all of my questions!

I followed up with another Columbian large medal, this one a 57mm bronze.

59935-8777A.jpg.793421edff1a8ef66c6b4f9a4025c743.jpg

59936-8777B.jpg.1baece9f5cdd7532536d29c3f1113e35.jpg

Victor, when I realized that your medal was not in the 1st Edition of the HK book, I tried to search for information about it in the new, 2nd Edition, but all I could get was general information about the book. So, I went to the Amos Advantage website and orderd the book.

Chris

Very cool Victor. (thumbs u I've been wanting to get on this band wagon, just don't have the cash to really enjoy it like I'd like to.

Victor, when I realized that your medal was not in the 1st Edition of the HK book, I tried to search for information about it in the new, 2nd Edition, but all I could get was general information about the book. So, I went to the Amos Advantage website and orderd the book.

Chris

:grin:

Very cool Victor. (thumbs u I've been wanting to get on this band wagon, just don't have the cash to really enjoy it like I'd like to.

I'm not intending on seriously collecting these but I liked the design of the first one so much that I had to have it and then I needed a twin for it. And that's what happened... (shrug)

:grin:

There is like a black rubber rub on the first medal w/o impairment so I plan on getting it conserved and slabbed and the second one just slabbed since I like the toning on it so much. But, then again, I haven't seen either on in hand yet.