• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help needed with some coins that were found.

9 posts in this topic

A friend of mine's Father-in-law passed away a couple of weeks ago and when putting his belongings in order, he came across a bunch of coins. They were Morgan Dollars, Coronet Head Cents, and Mercury Dimes. There are about 10 or so of each with various dates for each. He wants to have them professionally graded and slabbed but not interested in selling them. He doesn't really know much about coin grades but does say most of the coins are in very good condition. Since I have not seen the coins I can't comment on their condition myself. And since I don't collect these types, I really couldn't help him anyways. I couldn't even tell him what kind of varieties the Morgans are.

My question is how can we find this out? Should we take the coins to a local dealer and see if he could help with variety designation and possible grade? He said he would have no problem paying a dealer for this service. Would NGC do this (assign variety) for him when he submitted? I would also hate to have them body bagged because we are not familiar with these types. Are there books available that can guide him through identifying varieties?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Jeffrey

I would suggest buying a book or doing some web-based research so you can be a little more knowledgable before going to the dealer. Or go to a dealer you REALLY TRUST A LOT.

I would suggest buying a book or doing some web-based research so you can be a little more knowledgable before going to the dealer. Or go to a dealer you REALLY TRUST A LOT.

Good advice!

Get some knowledge first!

Check out www.coinfacts.com or ngc's new site that breaks down each date and mintmark.

This sounds like duplication of task problem to me. Why pay twice, why pay a dealer and then later possibly pay to have them slabbed. It sounds like money isn't an issue here. I would take photos and post them here and get opinions from the members of which ones would be worthy to grade. Most very good examples that you mention assuming they are that low of a grade wouldn't be worth grading, but you never know, so just take some pics and post.

...........and before you consider submitting them for grading, you will have to determine if there are, in fact, any varieties that would be recognized by the grading service. You would have to request "variety service" on the submission form. For the Morgan $'s, you could check them against the listings at VAMWorld:

www.vamworld.com

As already mentioned, it may be that the values of the coins are such that it wouldn't be cost-effective to have them graded. If that is the case, but your friend wishes to have them encapsulated anyway to preserve them as keepsakes, he might consider self-slabbing to save the unnecessary expenses.

Chris

Most circulated Morgan dollars and Mercury dimes have a value that is less than the cost of certification so I would hold off on those types until you know what you are dealing with in terms of value. These coins can always be kept raw and certified later, if needed.

I agree with realone, post some pics here under our 'new' forum and let the gang help out with grades/varieties. Good luck to your friend,nas.

Jim

Everybody has good suggestions. Are there any CC mint marks in the Morgan Dollars? This mint mark usually commands a premiuim. The Dates of 1893, 1895 are key dates and are going to have a premium. Also 1894. Then it depends on the dates. A date with a "S" mintmark is usually going to be worth more of say an 'O" date in the same condition is usually going to have more value etc.

Try to do a scan or post a picture of both the obverse and reverse of the coins.