• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin World

13 posts in this topic

I resubscribed after a 2 year hiatus in January. I just got my first issue today... hm ...and was surprised to see how the format has changed. I like the petite style much better.

The "final" SLQ pattern is gorgeous, ranks close to #1 for all time coin designs, IMO. (The dolphins need to be made happier, though. They look kind of menacing here) But at the last minute, the mint switched to a design disregarded 6 months earlier than the Sept. 1916 submission. Go figure. Bureaucrats. :screwy:

The 6" obverse and reverse bronze casts were purchased for a few bucks at a garage sell in NJ. Their presence was made known to the numismatic community in 2004. I was just as fascinated with the design then as I am now.

macneil_cast_obv.jpgmacneil_cast_rev.jpg

This was an interesting article about this cast. It caught my eye immediately upon receipt and therefore read the article. I would suggest anyone that can to read it.

Rey

800px-U_S__Navy_Submarine_Enlisted_.jpg

I knew I had seen those kind of fish (air breathing mamals) else where and was wondering how you knew they were dolphins...your ex-Navy and they are on the Naval Submarine pin, as depicted (same stance) on the pattern bronze.

Cool bronze...someone got a nice pu at a garage sale!

Thanks for the correlation, Woody. You're right, there is quite the resemblance.

The slang term for the sub pin is "dolphins".

Victor, if those are supposed to be dolphins on the SLQ pattern, they are somewhat stylized or exaggerated. The dolphin doesn't have a snout. The porpoise has a snout.

By the way, dolphin is gooooooooood eating!

Chris

I hear that it tastes just-like-chicken! :insane:

You ever e't a frog?

Those sure are some cool Bronzes!!

And really, on the left dolphin looks angry... the other looks like he's getting scolded...so I'm guessing the one on the left is the wife!! :roflmao:

Anyhow, I didn't realize how much leg was showing there... :blush:

And... you can even see belly button... man, talk about racy!!

I hear that it tastes just-like-chicken! :insane:

You ever e't a frog?

I'm not as brave as you. I've only eaten dead ones.

Chris