• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just made a 1958-D Jefferson in MS67 5FS

30 posts in this topic

I am seeing some huge prices for these even in NGC holders but I am not buying it....no way these can be worth that much can they?

Ebay 1958-D MS67 FS

What do the forum member think it's worth?

Heritage has a few that sold a few years ago for around $300....would that be a ballpark number or what.... hm

Just made it? Isn't there a law against that? :makepoint:

:grin:

Can't help you with the pricing but the ebay BIN seems to be wishful thinking to me even with a star.

its worth what someone will pay. To that someone . To me not much I don't collect coins I'm older than that not saying I don't have some I just don't collect them hoard could be the term

There are no (!) MS67*5FS coins graded by NGC listed in their population sheet. Bowers and Merena are not known for being stupid in their auction prices. My money is on them if someone wants the top pop registry nickel badly enough. There may never be another with NGC being as conservative as they are now. Nice coin, nice color, nice strike.

Historical prices are meaningless with a coin like this in this hot nickel market.

First off Shane, congrats on the MS67 5FS. (You know who to contact if it is toned and all there for the grade).

As someone with a SERIOUS Jones for high grade toned 1958 material I would CONTEMPLATE that number for the Heritage coin if the coin was technically all there for the grade AND had truly outrageous toning. However, I certainly wouldn't bid on it unless I had seen it in hand... which I haven't.

Getting high grade nicely toned 1958 P & D Jeffersons and Lincolns is an absolute B_tch. I've been looking seriously for 2 years now, and moderately seriously for 3-4 years and I have found exactly ZERO of them. Part of the issue is crappy grading. There was a 1958 Jefferson in the most recent LB Superior sale that was graded NGC MS66 5FS that had gold toning. I was VERY excited about it until I saw the blow-up Superior image of it, and nearly coughed out a hairball. I'm sorry, but a 66 should not have a noticeable ding front and center on the "jawbone" (amongst other issues). Somebody must have REALLY wanted that plastic POS because with the juice it went for $1,035. (I suspect I know whose registry set it will end up in... lot's of high grade plastic, with occaissionally a high grade coin... we'll see). So, if what you are looking for are true 66's and 67's it can be a very long wait indeed for 1958 P & D Jeffersons (and Lincolns).

EDITED TO ADD: Lot 462 at the Superior sale was a white 1958-D NGC MS67 5FS. (Looking at the blow-up image of the coin I did not feel it was a 67). Superior's pre-sale estimate was $4-600, e.g. $460 - $690. It did not sell.

WOW! That Jeffy must be tick free and have rather strong strike to both sides. Don't think I've ever seen one in 67 so that has got to be a winner!

Two grand...hmmm, a PCGS in 67 FS might demand that and get it, but I think the NGC will sell for less, perhaps as low as a 66. But with the registry the way it is now days, anything and everything can and does happen.

Like the Antiques Road Show does, the insurance value would be anywhere between $1500-$2550

Added...and to what ever the market will bare, but when selling anything, you got to have at least two interested bidders with deep pockets to realize those kind of numbers.

Congrats on slabbing a truely nice coin.

I'll post some images when I get it back....should have the raw images around here somewhere. Certainly don't think it's a $2000 coin and as far as I remember it has almost no toning (sorry Sy)....but considering all of the Mint sets I have opened recently.....I have never had a 58-D go higher than MS65 5FS so to get (2) 66FS and a 67FS on a large submission....is a nice treat. I think the coins are clean but I am not a nickel expert so I can't say with any certainty that they would measure up to a Jefferson Collectors standards (thumbs u

Just looking through my online images...I think this might be the 67FS....will have to compare the image to the coin when I get it but the coin does look exceptionally clean especially on the obverse hm

1958MintSet7119.jpg

1958MintSet7118.jpg

This might be one of the 66's....again this is a guess as I have a lot of images of Nickels I pulled out of sets...

1958MintSet7121.jpg

1958MintSet7124.jpg

and my 3rd guess as to one of the 66FS....

1958MintSet5117.jpg

1958MintSet5118.jpg

I think everyone can agree that these are pretty clean nickels...whether they think there 65,66, or 67's is another question but they're certainly a lot nicer than some of the other nickels coming out of these mint sets. (thumbs u

Just for interests sakes here are the pop numbers for 1958 P & D Jeffersons:

NGC:

P

66: 18, 66 5FS: 2 (TOTAL # FS ALL GRADES = 9)

67: 1

D

66: 53, 66 5FS: 25, 66 6FS: 20,

67: 9, 67 5FS: 9, 67 6FS: 2,

PCGS (As of 10/07)

P

66: 0, 66 FS: 0,

D

66: 29, 66 FS: 107,

67: 1, 67 FS: 7,

So, as you can see, finding a P mint in high grade is tricky and finding a FS one is dang near impossible. High grade D mints are much easier to find, but there are a lot that don't belong in the holders they reside in. As mentioned, the '58-D in 67 5FS in the Superior sale didn't even make the low end bid of $400.

If you are correct, Shane, in the coin that you guess would be MS67FS then I would expect a lower sales price due to the apparently widespread carbon spotting on the coin.

Congrats Shane!:acclaim: You certainly know how to pick em.

The first nickel looks exceptionally clean, and my guess would be that's the 67. But there seems to be a good size tick in the middle top of the steps??? I'm not sure how strict they are at ngc on this designation. but... hm

The last nickel seems to have the best toning and strongest strike - great looking steps. :headbang:

All nice nickels of a tough date in both good surfaces and 5FS. They may not be $2000. super coins Shane, but they are nice regardless.

Thanks all..... (thumbs u

I recently started a thread on the 1958-D MS67 FS I just made....but you wouldn't be interested in anything like that

The coin did catch my eye and pasted it but as usual, I didn't agree with the grade since the obverse strike looked weak. But nonetheless, awesome color, condition, perhaps PL. Congrats on a nice coin and cash in!

So.........was the obverse fully struck?

Leo

Aw, forget it! looked back in this thread, saw the pics...........nice coins.

Not my area of expertise for sure but here are my thoughts...and I might start a thread on it becuase I know some are very passionate on the subject of strike. :gossip:

The strike looks fine to me? Doesn't look mushy and I feel like I can see most if not all of the intended detail......but I don't follow the series well enough to state it has a razor sharp strike. I haven't even compared it to other 1958-D's other than the 2 MS66 FS I made in the same submission and I think it's comparable to both. (shrug) I can't see how the strike on this could hold it back from 67 but.....

So here are my simple opinions on the subject of strike:

I know that strike has a heavy weighting for many when it comes to grading coins....but for me it's all about eye appeal, luster, and most of all...clean surfaces. The strike can certainly play a part in overall eye appeal but that's as far as I go in that direction.

I absolutely disagree with those who feel a coin should be limited because of the strike and I know that may be a unpopular opinion but again....I am speaking for me, myself and I...only. If I coin is super clean as struck and the coin press did not exert enough pressure to ensure that 100% of the details are there.....hey it's as struck by the mint and would still be a coin I would be more than happy to own.

We all know about the absolutely crazy premiums being paid for FBL, FS, FT, FH designated coins.....and there is certainly a following for those coins but I just don't feel like shelling out a premium for that small amount of extra detail on a certain area of a coin...call me crazy...you wouldn't be the first lol

So I would love to hear from other collectors on the issue of strike...there are no wrong answers...only personal opinions. Each of us work hard for our paychecks and we all have to set our own standards before parting with that cash.

By the way I am not picking on Leo :makepoint:....strike is a fair question in reference to the grade assigned....it's just not in my top 3 as far as reasons I would own on not own a coin. :boo:

It was the first one I posted as I had guessed but no...I never came back to confirm lol

I take it back...it was not the first one...it's much nicer than the first but I can't seem to find an image of it :frustrated: It is not one of the one's I posted but I can't seem to find where it came from....

:o

Ok I found it and just for the record.....95% of the little specks you see are not on the coin.....this coin was popped out of an original set just before imaging and little specks of the cardboard holder were adhered to the surface which NGC removed with a shot of compressed air. You will notice in the obverse holdered image that the big chunk pf cardboard in the upper right corner to the left of the L in liberty is completely gone (thumbs u

1958MintSet4255.jpg

1958MintSet4256.jpg

NGC1008.jpg

NGC1010.jpg

PS:

and a few more that show off the luster without all the specks...

Nickels080.jpg

Nickels081.jpg

Nickels078.jpg

I've been looking for a '56-D Jeff in 67 FS. 5 full steps would be hard enough and fine with me. Some of those D mint 50s Jeffs are very hard to find with full detail. The services measure the steps because it is objective. Leo cares about the all around strike. Anyway congrats on making a tough coin!

It is amazing what a little plastic will do.

Yesterday Shane's '58-D Jefferson went up for sale on eBay, and a '58-D PCGS MS67 FS sold at the Heritage FUN auction. IMO, judging STRICTLY from the images, the Heritage TJ has significantly better toning, and a technically better reverse. OTOH, the nick by TJ's ear on the obverse on the Heritage TJ is much more obtrusive than anything on the obverse of Shane's, and is in a prime focal area to boot.

The Heritage coin went for $6,325. Yes, WELL OVER SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! doh! Shane's went for $306. At that price I couldn't pass it up, so I now own it. :takeit: You tell me, do YOU think that the Heritage coin is worth TWENTY ONE TIMES Shane's?

Here's the link to the Heritage one:

PCGS MS67FS

and here's Shane's:

NGC MS67 5FS

I'm sorry, but the price paid for the Heritage coin seems lunacy to me, and I am very happy to have bought Shane's one for ~$300.

Regardless of the numeric grade, this must be a tough issue to find well struck. I only collect Jefferson's raw, but mine, though nice uncs, are not near full steps!