• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is it with some kennedy halves?

7 posts in this topic

I was looking at a CameoCC E-newsletter and they were selling two 1976 pf69 Deep Cameo kennedy half dollars, one clad, the other silver. To my surprise the clad was more expensive than the silver. I don't know why. I went to coinfacts.com to check the mintages and there were over three million more clad than silver. I am thinking the clad must have more eye apeal than the silver, or that clad in high grades are more rare. What do you think?

Hi Joe - Clad is comprised of copper and nickel, thus it is much harder than silver/copper (90/10%) composition. The silver strikes up much better than the clad and bears more contrast with the mirror surface.

Hoot

Remember tough that many clad PR69DCAM Kennedies (either PCGS OR NGC) are still twenty dollar coins. In this instance, it is also the year.

1- 1976 is a popular year to obtain a Kennedy (type coin) and collectors want the finest.

2- 1976 was a BAD year for quality control! PR68's are plentiful, but the pops for the PR69's are down vs other years.

Combine these two reasons and you'll have a more expensive coin.

Isn't it also true that there are alot more Silvers graded PF-69 DC by both PCGS & NGC than Clads. Last time I checked there were combined totals of 2122 Silver's vs. only 425 Clad's.

John