• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PCGS body bags trade dollar

21 posts in this topic

Not much news here, except a couple of the forum members really wanted this particular coin and I'm the one that sold it to the submittor (via auction).

The coin in question was in a first generation PCGS AU58 holder and was fully lustrous with just a hint of rub - an MS62 by today's standards. Upon resubmission - BODY BAG for cleaning. I guess it was that mysterious reaction with the ring in the holder that caused an in-holder cleaning! wink.gif

TDN,

Is this that really outstanding one that sold at public auction a few months back that Shiroh and I both commented on the quality, and the fact that it brought a huge premium to the slabbed price?

TDN,

IMO, whoever PCGS has working for them in the grading room these days is completely off the wall and 100% inconsistent with their past grading standards. Unless of course this is being done purposely due to a new corporate policy. Whatever the case, it makes PCGS lose all credibility in my eyes as a reliable and consistent service.

I just sent in 4 coins from my collectors club membership, they were all coins that were previously PCGS graded and super nice for the grade. I only sent in these 4 coins because I had nothing else to submit, so I broke out 4 really nice PQ ones to see what would happen.

Out of the 4 coins, 1 came back 2 points lower and lost the PL designation, 1 came back 1 point lower and also lost the PL designation, 1 came back 1 point lower, and 1 came back the same grade.

So apparently TDN, not only can coins be mysteriously cleaned inside a PCGS holder, they can also become non prooflike and aquire bagmarks!

Dragon

Sorry to hear the news TDN!!! I reckon NGC should have a look, eh?

I have got to agree dragon. I'm waiting for the dust to settle before I post about a fight that I'm having with PCGS right now regarding their grading standards. But I can tell you, it isnt only the dipsticks in the grading room... it goes right up to the top floor.

Here's a trivial example... I recently got back a bunch of Jeffersons from PCGS that were clearly 5 full steps. One graded as low as MS62! Now, I don't know about you, but I've NEVER heard of an MS62fs nickel! I think it's rare as anything out there! Most MS62 nickels are so beat up, there is NO CHANCE for the FS designation. Anyway, I got a kick out of it.

Hey braddick! Want a really rare Jefferson FS nickel? I don''t think there are any that have graded lower!

Hoot

Well, as an underbidder on that piece, I can vouch it was nice. At that grade, Trade Dollar's generally don't look very good, with most being dipped out beyond recognition. This one was the exception to the rule.

I've seen AU war nickels that still had FS. I've also seen some nice slider clad that still has FS.

PCGS also allows a lot more marks on the steps than NGC or ANACS does for the FS designation.

Greg - You're right - I've seen some sliders with FS but they were better looking than any MS62 I've seen! Seems like they may have acquired their rub by collector's handling. Anyway, this coin is a FREAK! I love it.

Hoot

Excellent Pat! I hope the Kennedy sets a record. smile.gif As for the FS Jefferson, consider it sent! Cost of grading and shipping works for me. laugh.gif I just looked at the pop reports, however, and it's not alone! frown.gif - it's a pop 2 coin (1971)! There appear to be a total of 17 Jeffs graded MS62FS with PCGS (1938 to the present) with 3 lower (all MS61's) and thousands higher. smile.gif This is a real weener of a coin. cool.gif If you still want it, just say "yup", but if not, no big deal!!!...

Hoot

Maybe I can kick off a Registry with it...

The Full Step Slider collection!

Maybe I should see if PCGS would give out an AU designation to an AU58 FS 1945-D I have? Nah - they'd give it an MS designation! blush.gif

Hoot

The coin in question was in a first generation PCGS AU58 holder and was fully lustrous with just a hint of rub - an MS62 by today's standards. Upon resubmission - BODY BAG for cleaning. I guess it was that mysterious reaction with the ring in the holder that caused an in-holder cleaning!

I thought your story would win some kind of WTF? award, but it sounds like PCGS has been all over the place lately.

Is this not a good time to submit to them, or has it never been a good time?