• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Genuine NGC Sonic seal

14 posts in this topic

Does anyone OWN a genuine NGC coin where the sonic sealer was on too long and extruded a little plastic out the side of the coin and the plastic has the ribs like the sides of the coin ???

Can this happen and does it ... I purchased a coin with the holder looking like this

OR has the slab has been split and glued together ...

I am going to be taking pictures for here and for NGC to insoect for possible tampering ..

I have seen other electronic sealers and in order to remove human error, the sonic pulse is controlled or timed and and so is the applied pressure to the two shells. I don't see how something like this could happen, the plastic holder sits in a mold so they don't move and stay aligned during the process. If something were to go wrong, the mold would prevent the edges from oozing anyway. But you never know these days, quality assurance is not what it's cracked up to be.

Ought to be interesting.

I've seen and owned some NGC slabs that might be called "sloppy".

I doubt very much if the slab could be split/sawed apart and re-sealed without showing evidence of tampering.

I expect that if it were possible, then there would be many, many such tampered slabs - and I've never heard of even one opened and re-sealed slab.

After all, I expect that this would have been the first thing that NGC would have tested when they were developing their slabs.

I've seen and owned some NGC slabs that might be called "sloppy".

I doubt very much if the slab could be split/sawed apart and re-sealed without showing evidence of tampering.

I expect that if it were possible, then there would be many, many such tampered slabs - and I've never heard of even one opened and re-sealed slab.

After all, I expect that this would have been the first thing that NGC would have tested when they were developing their slabs.

There was EVIDENCE of one on the boards here recenetly but I do not know by who ... it had pictures but was very OBVIOUS

I have opened many a NGC slab and none of them could have been put back together without it being very noticeable.

NGC does not seem to understand SPC (Statistical Process Control) where you do parametric testing and process development for time, pressure and sonic energy level. You test two parameters at a time through for high low limits in three parametric studies (for high/low tests of 6 parameters) to detemine the high and low control limits of each of the three parameters which quarantees absolute process control of the the desired sealing process.

Then you simply set the three parameters in the middle of the control ranges and test for process repeatability with a simple Cpk capability of 1.4 or better and a parameter control range of less than one standard deviation (plus or minus) on each parameter. This should give you a seal integrity range that is within plus or minus three standard deviations to failure. In other words maybe three failures per million seals or less. Any engineer that has been out of school for less than a year can do this study and develop Cpk process parameters giving this low rate of seal failure in their sleep almost. Then run three qualification lots and validation testing to verify the results of their process control studies and repeat parameter testing if necessary. Usually it is not required.

Maybe NGC needs to hire a SPC process control engineer who can set up their seal parameters qualify their processes and train their operators to manage the process themselves with sample destructive seal testing and control graphs backed by only a Final Q.A. Audit. This is not rocket science. American engineers gave this idealogy to Japanese engineers in 1960's. Medical products and automobiles are built this way by every auto company now with ISO9001, except maybe GM the behemoth car company of the middle ages. However, even GM is finally starting to awaken the sleepy behemouth and stilted managment culture within to catch up with being 20 years behind the curve.

Sorry, I was doing "engineer speak". In english it means, get your act together and hire someone who can set your sealing processes where they yield seal integrity to less than (3) bad seals per million slabs. Nothing complicated about it. Just spend a little money and insure your reputation for seal integrity. This is the bottom line.

Any company that qualifies for or even understands ISO9001, can do it!

It makes me feel better that others have had it

It is a 1984 GOLD Olympic coin PF70UCAM

Still want pictures ??

It makes me feel better that others have had it

It is a 1984 GOLD Olympic coin PF70UCAM

Still want pictures ??

crowd.jpg

That little bit of plastic is perfectly normal. Seen it on PCGS, NGC, and ANACS holders.