• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1991-95 $5\$1 World War 2 Commemorative Rotated Reverses???

2 posts in this topic

I just received an NGC $5 WW2 MS70 and also own the $5 proof in PR69DCAM. Both have slightly rotated reverses. I've seen this many times on MS Jeffs and some other minor coins, but extremely few in the Modern Commemorative series. I have 117 coins in this collection and the 1st where both coins/gold/$1Silver in the "sub-series" WW2 have this minor error. I just looked @ my $1 WW2's, the MS70 reverse is fine, but the $1 PR69DCAM is also slightly rotated. Both 50C coins are Not rotated.

Is this a problem caused by "mis-aligned" obv/rev. dies for the WW2 "series" by the mint? Or was I just "lucky" to have received this anomaly. Any ideas and/or education on rotated reverses greatly appreciated on both this series and how exactly this happens on all coins.

Also, how much rotation is needed to increase the value of a coin, if it ever does at all? I would expect a very large rotation would be needed, and the series would need to be factored in.

I have a lot to learn, so any help gratefully appreciated.

Thank you all.

Tom Gilliams

The Thomas Modern Commemorative Collections- NGC Registry

tg64155@aol.com

confused.gif

Hi Tom - It's my understanding that most rotated reverses are caused by the hammer die slowly slipping from its original alignment (which could be off in some instances) and slowly turning an arc. If this is not caught soon enough, the rotation can be dramatic. I've also read that sometimes the dies were simply placed accidentally in medallic alignment, which produces a 180 degree rotation of the reverse.

As far as value goes, rotation of 45 degrees or more is considered of some modicum of monetary value. I would thin on modern commemoratives, this might be relatively greater than on some other series, e.g. Jefferson or buffalo nickels, where rotations of even 45 degrees are not all that uncommon.

Hope it helps, Hoot.