• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Been awhile since I gambled on ebay...

12 posts in this topic

...but I rolled the dice on this one. The date looks a little funky so.... first I hope it's real, if so I probably did ok. Any thoughts ? If I happen to get real real real lucky and it's real and a no problem coin then I'd say I probably did real good :)

2066_1.jpg

20b0_1.jpg

well... I found my cent book, federal half dime book, commem encycl., breens encycl., a couple cherry picker guides, and numerous other books... can't find my seated quarter book.. hm

that's frustrating...

If it is real, then it looks to have been dipped or something. Just too pasty for a circulated old coin like that. The obverse also appears to be spotty or blotchy, so I would be concerned that it had terrible eye appeal. Let us know when you get it, and show us better pictures.

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, it's a gamble. Here was my thought process though...

PROS

right date for me

seller has sold some real nice stuff in past

scan wouldn't show an luster if its there

details look XFish to low AU

It was only $50

CONS

slight chance its not real

seller might not ship it

the scans hiding a prior brillo pad cleaning

I don't know, I've seen a whole lot of '53 quarters in the last 3 years. In fact I'd bet I've seen 90+% of all of them that have been on ebay or HA, Stacks, etc in the same time. I've seen a lot seemingly worse sell for more money.

Hopefully it will be nice and I can get it certified as at least XF.

Then I'd be a happy collector.

If it's horrible, it just means I've learned another lesson... sadly, not my first :(

It doesn't do much for me.... :sorry:

would it do more for you for $ 50 ?

That is an excellent price for this. Sure it's worth it, especially if you know how to put a skin on it.

Coin arrived while I was out of town... Here's my pics of it. Overall it looks pretty good to me unless I'm missing something obvious. The coin has a neat die crack on the reverse (through S1) and it looks like the 5 is doubled and maybe the 3 as well. What do you think of it ? I always like to get the feedback. The seller also sent this bill with no explanation... I don't know anything about it and doubt its worth anything but it is absolutely brand new mint crispy...

ngcandstuff016.jpg

ngcandstuff015.jpg

TJFEP-ngcandstuff017.jpg

VOITY-ngcandstuff018.jpg

It looks like AU50 or so details. The surfaces look like they have been etched or something and the luster is gone. It just looks very flat and lifeless. I don't think it would slab. But put it in an ANACS cleaned AU50 details slab and you could still double your money.

I have two of these and they both have cool die cracks. They are common but I like them anyway. (thumbs u

It looks like AU50 or so details. The surfaces look like they have been etched or something and the luster is gone. It just looks very flat and lifeless. I don't think it would slab. But put it in an ANACS cleaned AU50 details slab and you could still double your money.

I have two of these and they both have cool die cracks. They are common but I like them anyway. (thumbs u

I think your assessment is right on. The coin is not as colorful as the pics show (that white balance thing). The details are decent but overall it doesn't jump out at you. They are interesting coins with such a variety of quirks. There is definitely something going on with the five although Ray says its not doubled. I'll have to try to get a better pick of the five so I can blow it up and see it better.

Thanks for the feedback.