• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New One for ME ... 1942/1 is a counterfeit ???... Picture Posted NOW!

47 posts in this topic

From the images provided the coin looks to be genuine. Unfortunately, there also appears to be a gouge on the obverse that might preclude certification. If so, perhaps the buyer has buyer's remorse after submission of the coin.

The MERCURY COMPLETE set was bought for 100% resale and no certifications were going to be done as per his emails.

Oh, se he bought the whole set? Then we are in a pickle. He could have easily switched coins on you, or gotten two different coins mixed up.

Who I am and What I say being ascertained as being "jerk-like" I take offence to

and I think is reprehensible on TomB's part to say so. Yes he could have rephrased it differently ... did he make ammends to rephrase his comments No ...

:blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah:

Dude, get over it already. Are you a jerk? I hadn't thought so previously. Did you write your message to the buyer in a "jerk-like" manner? You bet. It's up to you how offended you want to be, but it certainly seems like you are going off the deep end here.

Well, I was going to ask for pix, but as I read on they were posted. After I saw the pix I thought the 2 looked a little mushed but thought the coin in question to be authentic. Then Mark said it was real so which I was glad to hear because I felt the same.

As for the whole jerk thing. It appears that the guy came off as a jerk and you responded strongly, For me, to qualify as a jerk, you have to be short and threatening, he was, you were long and threatening! :D

So, if the coin is actually the one in the picture, and we can all agree it's real, then there is no refund due. Personally, I'd like to see picures of the coin the guy says he has now as it seems like he's trying to pull a fast one or maybe he figured he couldn't make a decent profit on the bunch.

Another thing, someone said something about not being able to get graded because of a gouge. ANACS and I'm sure NCS would grade it as genuine if nothinig else.

Man I started out trying to share 2 cents, turned more like 50 cents!

Well, I was going to ask for pix, but as I read on they were posted. After I saw the pix I thought the 2 looked a little mushed but thought the coin in question to be authentic. Then Mark said it was real so which I was glad to hear because I felt the same.

As for the whole jerk thing. It appears that the guy came off as a jerk and you responded strongly, For me, to qualify as a jerk, you have to be short and threatening, he was, you were long and threatening! :D

So, if the coin is actually the one in the picture, and we can all agree it's real, then there is no refund due. Personally, I'd like to see picures of the coin the guy says he has now as it seems like he's trying to pull a fast one or maybe he figured he couldn't make a decent profit on the bunch.

Another thing, someone said something about not being able to get graded because of a gouge. ANACS and I'm sure NCS would grade it as genuine if nothinig else.

Man I started out trying to share 2 cents, turned more like 50 cents!

If you could turn 2c to 50c everytime ... I am yer best bud :)

Well the auction, as I see it, showed nicely detailed pictures to represent the coin in question. I would be interested to see if the buyer sends a pic of a different coin. I'm also a little puzzeled here as the buyer claimed the coin is counterfiet right off the bat. I've read every post here and I still may be missing something, but what are his grounds to claiming it's a fake? Also, the coin looks legit to me also, but that don't mean much, but maybe a deal can be made with the buyer to send the coin back to you, you can then have it certified. If it certifies as authentic, the buyer re-emburses you for the fees and the coin is sent back to him, or like you said, let him do it and go from there. This could all get very complicated with both parties claiming switching of coins. I almost think that I would ask for the whole album back, verify that the coins are the same one's sent, give him his money back, block him from any further bids on your items.

I am sure he sold a lot of them already so that is not an option either

Thanks for the thoughts though

The buyer already posted positive feedback on March 20th that he was pleased with the Mercury Dimes. If he can prove the dime in question is counterfeit (by having it authenticated by a major grading company) then I would refund fair market value of the coin. If he doesn't want to then too bad. Let him make idol threats.

Comments ... Was I being too aggressive ... ??? Did I proceeed in the proper manner ??? This was part of a COMPLETE set of Mercury;s and coins easily exchangable in a Dansco so I will not return any money's.

Thoughts ??

It looks as if the buyer was too aggressive and was a jerk from the start but you let him pull you down that same road.

Ask for the coin back. If it's bad, just pay the man.

If it's real, I'm sure you could sell it and come out ok.

I really hate to bring this to the top BUT ...

The guy aplogised and said a PCGS dealer said the coin was genuine and that PCGS would even grade it "he says" ... He ended up selling the whole set to the dealer ...

Kinda Makes you think what kind of dealer friend he has huh ...

Anyway PM'ing TomB with an apology as I was way out of line with him ...

In all honesty I did not think you owed me an apology for anything that was written within that thread. Written communication on the forums is far different than the vast majority of communication that any of us has in our day-to-day lives in that it is very easy to misinterpret the text of others. I had meant no personal offense to you within the thread, but I also understand that I could have chosen my words in the initial post better than I had. (thumbs u