• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another new coin

11 posts in this topic

any comments? yeah, will you adopt me? grin.gif That is just awesome! I dont usually look at those auctions, cause well I cant afford them, so it is good to see them once in while. and I have to say, I would trade a body part for that one! (like a kidney, you know, something I have an extra of) wink.gif

Excellent TDN - Looks like a prize. Deep and clean mirrors. Hard to tell from the scan what it what, i.e. if there is some light surface abrasion or if that is dust or if the light reflects oddly through the plastic. I find that scanning often highlights surface features that are extremely subtle on a coin - even invisible to the naked eye. Overall, I'd say the surface preservation is superb with excellent devices. CAM or UCAM also. Nothing that makes me think of problems that would get it below gem grade. Perhaps the surfaces are hazy. I've found with NGC if there are hazy surfaces, it can take the grade down and also keep them from designating the degree of cameo. It is as if they don't want to call an error while having to look through the haze. lol!

Way to go. Perhaps if hazy, some delicate at NCS could maintain the color and eliminate any haze or oils on the surface. Just a thought, but you'll let us know! wink.gif

Hoot

Very nice piece! Many of the old holder NGC coins are really nice for the grade and upgrade candidates. Although I don't make a practice of cracking coins, I've had a couple go up 2 grades at PCGS, especially the gold stamp holders. NGC was quite conservative back then and their old holders also toned a lot of coins primarily in golds and rust and brown colors and around the periphery. (anyone ever notice that?) There must have been something in those old plastic inner inserts that reacted with the coins inside.

Can't really tell from a pic, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that piece was in a PCGS PR65CAM holder in the near future. Nice purchase!

Dragon

The inserts that PCGS uses appear to be EVA (Ethyl Vinyl Acetate) which is approved for Class III (implantable), Medical Devices, which to me, indicates no foreign substances present. I have some old green, in the original small holders. After 20+ years in the holder, there appears to be no change on the silver coin surfaces.

I have scanned a 1974 Silver Ike for your review. I do not think that the ring is the culprit. It could be the Styrene or something else.

59217-1974AgIke.jpg.637fc41c60490f1e158ffcde3f09b6db.jpg