• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Talking about getting "took"...

11 posts in this topic

Some of you will remember that I recently completed my complete set of pr/ms modern commemorative silver dollars in Dansco albums. the first and second volumes had two slots vacant on the last page of the album. So, for the first album, I wanted two replica Lafayette commemorative dollars. Likewise, for the second album, I purchased two of the Iceland Leif Erickson commemorative 38.1mm coins, one slot with the obverse showing, the other with the reverse.

Anyway, I searched high and low for the Lafayette replicas. I searched ebay, Ken Potter, etc. No luck. Finally, I got an email from a company stating that the freshly discovered two of the replicas for only $25/each plus shipping. These are just silver plated mind you. Well, I needed them for the set so I bit the bullit and bought them even though the pricing was outrageous.

link

A mere two days later, I found them listed on e-bay for a fraction of what I paid.

I had to destroy the capsules to get the darn things free so returning the original purchase was not an option.

Don't you just hate when that happens? :þ

52473-page4.jpg

57490-Lafayette.jpg.1c4197823ac45946166c285d66aafd2c.jpg

57491-dbe8_1.jpg.10da03e1c8b13c1137c225fac2e18bf2.jpg

57492-dc6f_1.jpg.c730dc0b41d8ef7ce3fb5fdbbee62dc0.jpg

Dude , that 94-d Cap Bicen UNC.....drool.....slobber.....usually just a kinda plain coin , but WOW either the light was right or that'n gots some luster bluster going for it !

Ya know , the copy didn't look like you damaged it anywhere , and it does look decent , but yeah , I know wht you're saying about finding something later for less , but if it was well spent the first time , I wouldn't dwell on it , much.

Did you go up to the present Eagles or where did ya stop the set?

laffayette.jpg

I feel your angst Victor...at one time or another we have all been down that road. Say, that's a nice looking collection in that Dansco!

Dude , that 94-d Cap Bicen UNC.....drool.....slobber.....usually just a kinda plain coin , but WOW either the light was right or that'n gots some luster bluster going for it !

Ya know , the copy didn't look like you damaged it anywhere , and it does look decent , but yeah , I know wht you're saying about finding something later for less , but if it was well spent the first time , I wouldn't dwell on it , much.

Did you go up to the present Eagles or where did ya stop the set?

Since all of the coins are modern, undamaged mint products then all the mint state coins have great luster even on the blah designs. I guess that the lighting accentuated the coin mentioned.

I won't dwell on it......that much. ;)

And, I bought a generic dollar Dansco for the 2001 to present coins which I have. :banana:

laffayette.jpg

:blush::sorry::blush:

Victor, one way to keep that from happening is to delete the search once you have made a purchase. What you don't know won't hurt you.

Chris

And, I bought a generic dollar Dansco for the 2001 to present coins which I have. :banana:

Ahhh...the series that never ends ....I never thought about it , until just now , but when I sold my graded commems an swore off ever getting into that fiasco again , I never considered doing something like a 2001 and up in an album...I'm still getting these from the mint and have the ones from Franklin to the present...in the original mint boxes....sounds like I might look into starting a Dansco set like this without having to go all the way back to the beginning....you just gave me a lightbulb as to what to do with these .

Victor, one way to keep that from happening is to delete the search once you have made a purchase. What you don't know won't hurt you.

Chris

Chris , he could also just send them to me and then buy the Ebay ones and forget that he ever had those , uh, 'mistakes' ...sorta like starting clean an fresh ...I would be willing to relieve Victor of the burden of proof proofs . There for ya buddy ! ;)

Chris

Chris , he could also just send them to me and then buy the Ebay ones and forget that he ever had those , uh, 'mistakes' ...sorta like starting clean an fresh ...I would be willing to relieve Victor of the burden of proof proofs . There for ya buddy ! ;)

You're a one heck of a man to make such an offer, Coin. (thumbs u ....not! :grin:

Sure, you could start with the millennium or, to be consistent according to the Dansco guidelines, you can start with the 2002 issues, e.g. West Point Bicentennial and Salt Lake Olympics since the second Dansco volume ends with the Buffalo release.

Chris, you lost me there, buddy. (shrug)

Chris

You're a one heck of a man to make such an offer, Coin. (thumbs u ....not! :grin:

Sure, you could start with the millennium or, to be consistent according to the Dansco guidelines, you can start with the 2002 issues, e.g. West Point Bicentennial and Salt Lake Olympics since the second Dansco volume ends with the Buffalo release.

Chris, you lost me there, buddy. (shrug)

Ugh! I've been deleted.

Chris

You can always use the famous collector line, "I paid way above ask for these PQ's and am happy I did!"

Might make you feel better.

Looks like you paid some tuition.

I think it is a really bad idea to remove mods from their protective capsules unless you need to dip one of them. Once you remove them from the capsules like that and inserting in an album where they may be further damaged - when it comes time to sell your looking at getting BV if that. Sorry, it looks like you will be giving up some more tuition later on.

Consider too, that many dealers, when apparaising a collection or estate simply put zero on their internal itemized valuation form for damaged coins when calculating their bid for an entire collection. The dealer will look at the collection, jot down all the items, go home work it up, and then call the seller with an offer - "my best offer for this is $4,521" for instance. The nice coins may be sent thru Teletrade Raw Coin Service for immediate blowout and the junk liquidated on ebay. One guy's shop I frequent in Montana (he flips deals to me - usually at or slightly below bid) looks at an album, counts the coins (or bank notes) and multiplies by some arbitrary number like BV or most common bid and makes his "best cash offer." He has about the only nice shop in town, lots of buying cash, and sometimes a ton of people looking to sell so quick quotes are vital. No taking a long time to look at a greysheet for him. He is a sharp guy who can quickly access a collection and make a convincing offer he knows will have a good likihood of closing the deal.

Getting back to your situation - Its your responsibility to shop around when acquiring coins and to take steps for proper coin preservation.