• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IF you had a complete Buffalo nickel collection ...

10 posts in this topic

Less the 3 legger and the Overdate 13s-v2 all in a dansco and had to unload them ...

Would the TIME be worth it to YOU/ME to sell all the coins separately to maximize returns or WOULD you just sell the COMPLETE album in a package deal and be done with it

I may have to make this decision shortly as medical bills are starting to become an issue with me with complications of surgery and my attempt at improving myself in a different way backfiring in an unexpected way causing repeated OR visits. ( I can not elaborate at this time )

This may also have to include my Classic Washington Quarter set 32-98 which I thought I was keeping thanks to Bruce's guidance ... The Quarter set is also complete.

Any sellers/buyers/dealers/ feel free to input your comments ..

If we're talking about selling the set on eBay, I would say no - the extra time involved, plus the extra listing fees/paypal fees/final value fees/etc. would eat into the extra return.

I think it depends on the coins in the set, if they are all AU/Unc, it might be worth it to break them up, if they are all circ in the F-XF range, the difference in price probably wouldn't be worthwhile.

i've been through the whole sell it as a set, or sell em individually thing enough where i've found it to be worth it to 2x2 em, or at least the better ones... i've pretty much given up on selling full sets.

if that set is average, i'd sell anything worth over maybe $10 one at a time.. and then sell the rest as a partial set.

i had a great washer set for sale not too long ago.. i priced it out at around $1300. put it up as a set with a reserve of 1000.. it hit 700. i pieced it out and ended up with around 1400. true story..

The early mint marked Buff's can be worth several hundred each if VF and above! If I was to sell my set I would break it up. The better coins I would get slabbed again.

Same question but for a Walking Liberty Half Dollar set with half of them market uncirculated???

Sell as set or as individuals? Thanks.

Hypothesis

I have $90 to spend on coins this month, I need several common and semi-key dates, I will spend the entire $90 to obtain that semi-key date. I do not have $900+ dollars to spend on a entire set, so I'm only dreaming in that regard.

1. there are those out there who have big bucks to spend (low percentage)

2. there are those out there who will buy entire collection at low bid to re-sell or break up the set and sell (low percentage)

3. there are many out there who have smaller amounts of money to spend on individual coins (high percentage)

4. impulse buyers on individual coins (random)

5. buy something inexpensive from seller to find out about them, truth, reliability and the American way before dropping some big bucks. (common sense)

To me, it leans toward selling off piece meal is the way to go...I'd hold the key coins till last in case the situation changes in your favor and you do not have to part with them.

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, we don't need heart aches in life but they are abundant.

Hoping everything works out for the better.

~Woody~

Same question but for a Walking Liberty Half Dollar set with half of them market uncirculated???

Sell as set or as individuals? Thanks.

I sold mine as a set a year or so ago as a buy now on the high end and got a reasonable offer for the sale...

I may do the same thing here but was curious what people thought

I have sold several complete sets of coins in Capital Plastics holders. These sets were 100% complete and consisted of Jefferson nickels 1938 through 1964, with overdates (all MS63+), short set of Mercury dimes (all MS63+), Kennedy proofs (all 66DCAM-69DCAM with PCGS stickers in box.), "P" Mint Morgan dollar set (AU55-MS65), "O" Mint Morgan set (AU55-MS65) and complete 20th Century Type Set (AU55 to MS65), plus others.

In retrospect, I don't believe that I received nearly the value for the sets that I could have received had I sold the coins separately. These sets were sold under conditions of buying a house, paying for children's educational needs, illness or divorce. I do not regret selling them, just the method that I employed. I have always felt that the parts were equal to more than the sum. Since selling these sets, I have always sold individual coins (in groups) at auction or through private sales at shows. This is the best answer that I can give you. I don't know your circumstances, but if you can, I would advise selling the coins individually or in small groups. Most small dealers will low ball you if they have to buy a complete set.