• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Corroded coins -- Will a bank accept them? Coinstar? 56K BIG PICS

8 posts in this topic

For last christmas I received $16 in change of dimes and quarters that were corroded and found at a lake/park where my uncle works. I received them as a gift from my uncle, for christmas, and also a veitnam note (pictured) which belonged to my great uncle, or my grandmothers brother. I'm pretty short on money so I decided to cash them in at a bank or maybe try coinstar and deal with the losses. They are all modern just common pocket change coins.

Will a bank accept them the way they are? Should I bring them into a bank to cash them, use coinstar, or is there a way to clean in in such I can get all the corrison off? (Soak them in olive oil maybe?) Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

VietnamBadCoins2.jpg

VietnamBadCoins1.jpg

They are still monetized coinage so I would expect that any bank where you have an account would accept them for deposit or exchange.

I have taken many "dig" coins to coin star. As long as the coins do not have a lot of active corrosion, the machine will accept them. Many times though, the "dig" cents are rejected, especially post '82 cents, but the clad coins are just about all accepted.

By the looks of your lot, I see no problem with a Coin Star transaction.

(Less intrusive, coin stars ask no questions nor do they require conversation or raise an eye brow, of course there is the fee for this)

They are certainly still legal tender. Of course, it is still possible the CoinStar machine will reject some of them just because of the physical changes to the coins, but you can certainly still spend them, or exchange them for currency at the bank window.

There is an adage that is often repeated........................ And that, my friend, you can take to the bank!

Chris

Put them in a roll and take to your bank. Mix them with other quarters and dimes if you have to in order to get a roll's worth.