• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seated Liberty with Arrows Opinions

23 posts in this topic

OK, boardsters, please give your input for the following two coins. Both are slabbed by NGC.

Give your opinion of the grade, market value and if the coin rocks in the PQ department or is just average.

Thanks!

57117-54O.jpg.cc0a21643943293a5cf237e09a5d1876.jpg

57118-54R.jpg.156c4274b9956f68083bb0e4f263e81f.jpg

57119-55O.jpg.79b9c0421e47fe7dbe38c078d544d47e.jpg

57120-55R.jpg.bb3a16fa09eabcf06aa6656edeb08c8b.jpg

Both coins are classic AU-58 grade pieces. The 1854 half dollar has the slightest amount of friction on the high points. Ditto for the quarter except that it is toned and the rub is hidden.

As to value, both would sell for MS-60 money if they were slabbed as AU-58s, at least that's how I'd value them. If they are in MS-61 or 62 holders they would bring a little more.

Bill, you're right that the half is in an AU58 slab but not the quarter.

Thanks for the input. (thumbs u

How do they rate as far as eye-appeal in your opinion, Bill?

The quarter is a no brainer keeper, IMO. I love the luster on the half even though its been dipped in the past.

Both are excellent type coins, IMO, the quarter a little more.

The quarter is actually only graded XF45. NGC dropped the ball on that one but it makes it a great opportunity coin for me!!

I like the half a lot if the scratches on the obverse are on the slab and not on the coin. The luster is what does it for me.

57124-55O.jpg.3055a79dfc511e011f314d0950323108.jpg

57125-55R.jpg.63d98e8e72d6c19a53fd06866feeadae.jpg

57126-54O.jpg.a95c4c88284ef7f1d163921a75ffe75e.jpg

57127-54R.jpg.aa79349be4c4c5093dbadfc25a9229fd.jpg

Victor, since you asked.....

The half looks unoriginal and quite unappealing to me. The quarter appears to be original, and to my eyes, neither attractive, nor unattractive, meaning neutral eye-appeal and an OK coin. And it looks AU to me, based on the images.

Victor, I'd say AU58 for the half, and AU55-58 for the quarter. I like the luster of the 1/2, but the scratches would definitely concern me. The 1/4 is a little dark for my taste, but it looks like it's got some nice toning going on.

Victor, please get rid of the half dollar. It's wiped and dipped and in my humble? opinion, shouldn't ever grade >55.

The quarter is a winner, pq at 55. Really quite gorgeous.

edited to add: of course, use your glass to see what's under the toning

Thanks for the input, guys!

The quarter is a keeper, IMO. I don't have enough info on the half to make a decision. It it is not hairlined or has scratches then I like, if it is hairlined and/or scratched then it is not a coin for me.

Love the quarter, Vic. I would be tickled to have that coin for XF money. I have an 1853 w/arrows half dime with similar coloring only a bit darker in an NGC slab as AU. You did well in my opinion on the quarter-do not care for the half at all.

Great coin.

Jim

I'm sorry to have to play the grinch on this one, but I would likely pass on both. Neither coin is too incredibly rare not to wait on a better example. That said, if forced to pick one, the quarter is the much more appealing one to me. Thank you for sharing, and please remember it is what YOU think about the coins that really matters...Mike

Having a coin in hand is much easier to judge than having to extrapolate from a picture.

Maybe in hand, the quarter is a dog and the half is a beaut. Doubtful, but....

It would have been hard to associate with all of the advanced collectors on this board and not gain an appreciation for original coins. Just look at my type set and you'll know this is predominately true for me. However, if a dipping shows incredible luster and doesn't reveal any hidden problems then I can live with it, especially if it has started to tone back like on this half. If there are hairlines, however, I do not want this coin.

I'm sure the quarter is dark but, like any toned coin, the colors really jump out at you with the correct lighting.

As a follow up to the VF/XF 1853 A&R quarter that I got on ebay last week: it is THE perfect circulated coin! I'll get it slabbed for my type set 'cause it works for me even though it was only a $75 coin.

Thank you for sharing, and please remember it is what YOU think about the coins that really matters...Mike

(thumbs u

True, but when it comes time to sell, it is what other people think that matters. (shrug)

Thank you for sharing, and please remember it is what YOU think about the coins that really matters...Mike

(thumbs u

True, but when it comes time to sell, it is what other people think that matters. (shrug)

Very true.

That's why I only buy CAC approved coins.........

NOT! :P

(thumbs u

At least to me, that is the least of my worries.... If I liked the coin when I bought it, and I liked the coin while I owned it, who cares, really, what price it brings when it comes time to sell. If it does sell for less than I think it should have, then just chalk that up to a learning experience....Mike (who has been fortunate enough that his mistakes haven't cost him anything other than opportunity, so I may be a bit baised/idealistic)

You can turn your nose up at these coins, but the supply of mid 19th century type material is really bad these days. I've never seen a market where prices were sky high and the supply was the pits, but this is it.

I've been been looking for a Seated half dollar without the motto for over a year and found nothing. That's the easiest coin I need. I wanted a Proof, but now even the Mint State graded coins I see are disappointing. Today is the trick is the grading services put MS-64 coin in an MS-65 holder. The price more than doubles, which makes the coin a very bad buy.

Between the super high prices, the uncertain economy and the lousy supply, buying coins is not much fun these days. :frustrated::(

The half dollar is not a choice coin, in my opinion, and might be graded either AU55 or AU58, but would not deserve the AU58 grade. Aside from the obvious wear on the coin, which is neither a positive nor a negative attribute, the coin has been dipped and has a cluster of hairlines moving across it that seem to pick up the light quite well and this might indicate that they are more than a minor annoyance.

The quarter appears AU53 or AU55 and I could live with this in a raw type set since I do not believe the colors were intentionally applied to the coin. However, if you are thinking of placing this coin in your NGC registry set then the decision to keep the coin might not be so simple.

In my experience it seems that nice type has dried up over the last three-to-four years and this makes buying quite tough. However, one still has to buy smart.

Thanks for all of the advice. The coins arrived today and my verdict is:

The SL '54 half is a keeper! There are no hairlines at all on it, the luster is keen and the eye-appeal is there for me. It does have a light scratch across Miss Liberty's leg, though.

The quarter is ok, but the colors are much duller in person. The pics make it appear more vibrant and lusterous than what my eyes can see.

Still, for the price, both coins are keepers. (thumbs u

It's nice to read about the results to these threads. Quite often I think we all forget about the topic and never find out what happened. Thanks, Victor.

Well in that case...

Congrats on your new pickups Victor!! :banana: :banana: :banana: