• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

anyone own a Digital Blue QX5 Microscope?

9 posts in this topic

thinking about grabbing one of these.. but i need a little more info first i think.

their website says 'magnification - 10x, 60x, 200x' - do i only get the 3 selections? can't i get everything in between?

basically all i want is a nice zoom on a mintmark or whatever, AND a nice overall shot too.. is it always zoomed or can i get a shot of the whole coin too?

if ya have one do ya love it? i pretty much want to pay $100 for one of these and get the same results as i'd get from a $500 camera or whatever.... yeah?

or if you have a different microscope, what is it and why is it great? i'm shopping.. i'm at step 1.. any help is appreciated :busy:

thinking about grabbing one of these.. but i need a little more info first i think.

their website says 'magnification - 10x, 60x, 200x' - do i only get the 3 selections? can't i get everything in between?

basically all i want is a nice zoom on a mintmark or whatever, AND a nice overall shot too.. is it always zoomed or can i get a shot of the whole coin too?

if ya have one do ya love it? i pretty much want to pay $100 for one of these and get the same results as i'd get from a $500 camera or whatever.... yeah?

or if you have a different microscope, what is it and why is it great? i'm shopping.. i'm at step 1.. any help is appreciated :busy:

I have one. My coin friend bought one for errors and varieties (his specialty) and is able to zoom in real good on mintmarks. With a little practice, you can take great pics with them. Although mine is chewed up from the animals. The light can be a bit bright so my friend modified his. Here's a picture I took of my PCGS $5 indian on the neck with my digital blue.

The other picture is a copper spot on a pure gold bar. You can use the 10x setting to take pictures of the whole item. Sorry, you can't go inbetween the magnification.

idia2.jpg

godbar.jpg

ive got one and use it mainly for errors when i find them. i like it alot. if your running vista it will give a little guff but otherwize its awsome.

I have a QX5 and love it for closeups, such as mint marks or errors, but like it for what it is-a cheap microscopic camera. It will not take the place of even a $300 digital camera with macro for quality coin photos. Yes, all you get is the three magnifications. You cannot photo a complete coin(well maybe a half dime-I doubt even that). It is absolutely great for letter doubling, mint mark closeups, date anomalies and any closeups of anything you need. Super easy to operate. I do use mine daily and have for a year or more. Good luck.

Jim

I have one and I don't care for it. I bought a better one. PM me if you're interested in my QX5.

Yeah, I know! Take it to the Marketplace!

Chris

My son had an X10, but we some how lost it in the move....... doh!

So when I started getting into Bust Halves, I bought the Dino-Lite AM411T USB Digital Microscope Camera

Read my review of it before you buy anything.

The most important thing to remember is you will not find a camera that can shoot extreem close ups & great whole coin shots......

Its great for this....

1957drpm.jpg

Not so great for this....

2007flo.jpg

well im doing a setup here soon its the trinocular. it is set up for all that stuff. i work with jewelry so getting full view is a must.

some usb cams are good but the better you get the more you will spend.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-PC-CAMERA-VIDEO-ZOOM-INSPECTION-MICROSCOPE-W-CASE_W0QQitemZ120245764635QQihZ002QQcategoryZ26237QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/200X-USB-Digital-Coin-Microscope-Video-Camera-Loupe_W0QQitemZ180233434576QQihZ008QQcategoryZ39478QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

these folks are awsome they took my call and i told them what i needed. they told me all sorts of good info and have just about everything. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/COMPOUND-MICROSCOPE-DIGITAL-USB-COMPUTER-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ350049068951QQihZ022QQcategoryZ48741QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem