• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Liberty

11 posts in this topic

That is somewhat unique, Richard. At least I have never seen the pair together.

Great collectible!

Jim

(thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u (thumbs u

Has the bridge of Ms. Liberty's nose been polished off on the white metal piece?

No but I see what you mean. I think its a contrast issue. Look at the second obv pic and you can see that area better.

I actually had a lot of trouble trying to shoot a picture of the aluminum piece.

Aluminum was extremely scarce and very expensive in 1892. It was quite the novelty item long before recyclable soda cans.

And, yeah, me too. The first thing that I noticed was that Miss Liberty's glabella was missing.

p.s. The glabella is the little indentation where the nose meets the forehead. Bet you didn't know that. :þ I learned it in x-ray school 16 years ago and this is the first time that I have used it since. hm

I also find it interesting that the design on the bronze is much higher quality than the aluminum piece. They are made from entirely different casts. I wonder why. Do you know? Seems like a waste of resources not to just resize the original bronze die.

I have to agree with you EZ-E, there is a lot more detail on the bronze not to mention placement of details, it's obvious they where made from different casts. I like them both, nice!