• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1839 Seated Liberty Half Critique

18 posts in this topic

I'm in love with this piece even though it is raw. Are my affections misfounded? How do you grade and price this coin? Thanks for the input!!

55927-1839Half.jpg.854897ac22c180745e36a550c5227332.jpg

I don't know, the pictures are not flattering, but I'm guessing that in real life this one looks pretty nice. I would put it at VF-20 or so (just my first guess, without comparing it to anything) or maybe just under that.

Looks like it doesn't have quite enough meat for a F12 to me so I would call it VG10. It's hard to judge the surfaces from that picture. It may be the pictures but something about it just doesn't look quite right to me.

It may be the pictures but something about it just doesn't look quite right to me.

Here's the un-tweeked version:

55931-1839half0401.jpg.80d2df3eeaa4730864c1416880faf56a.jpg

VG 10. I Love It! :)

Thanks for the input, guys! I was hoping that it would squeak by as a Fine but I appreciate the honesty.

To get thumbs up from both Zach and James and the rest of you is high praise because I know these guys know what a circulated coin is supposed to look like!

Victor, my grading of uncirculated and Proof coins is better than it is for lower grade circulated coins, but it looks fine (and like a Fine -12) to me.

Just a couple of questions, since you have the advantage of being able to examine the coin in hand..... 1) Are the surfaces rough/porous? and 2) What am I seeing in the right obverse field (the lighter area about half way between Ms. Liberty and the stars). Regardless of your answers, I like the look of the coin.

I think it looks like a cool coin, and would be a VG 10 or F 12 maybe borderline VGF 11 coin. If the surfaces are nice, then it is a fantastic coin for the grade. As others have said, if the photos are hiding something, then the coin is just OK.

Victor, I thought you were selling out a bunch of your 7070 stuff. What's with this potential purchase, or are you deciding to collect SL halves? Pleasant coin BTW.

I actually need this coin for SL No Drapery type for my NGC registry. It is raw and is on ebay so I don't have it in hand, Mark. The pics are the only info I have on the coin.

It is not a high dollar coin but it appears to meet my criteria for my collection: original with nice eye-appeal. I like the coin and the grade suits me fine. I'll have to eventually send it in along with some other coins I have to be graded. I've been putting it off since PCGS has been grading so whacko lately.

I'm in the VG10 camp and as long as the surfaces aren't porous I think the coin is quite attractive. Did you already win the coin? I ask because these ND Seated halves can sell for quite a bit in excess of Greysheet when folks recognize the variety.

Not yet, Tom.

You don't say. :devil: :devil: :devil:

That's a really nice coin for the grade, it's not all dinged and gouged on those nicely toned surfaces, just honest wear. (thumbs u

I also think this coin would slab, maybe a F12, even though I can't see all of the liberty on the shield. I just think it's that nice over all and could grade well, like my 1839 bust half; I never felt it was an XF40, (a little too much wear), but that didn't stop em...

Paul, there are no words to describe your 1839 Bust Half. Maybe... WoW...comes the closest!