• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with this possible 1980 COPPER DIME?

45 posts in this topic

So I've had this dime for about 5 years now after I was counting change at work. I haven't really had much time to investigate it more than showing it to my doctor who is a coin collector. I figured I'd seek out more help and opinions before having it sent off to looked at. I took a pic of the front and back. I don't have anything to measure the weight of it currently. Any one have any opinions on whether it's worth it to send it off? thanks.

52857-Alex008.jpg.2868a5b9fe4b53a55276c7c07866b03b.jpg

52858-Alex009.jpg.cf92dc23abd96ae4d27d22c20c32eb3b.jpg

What does the edge look like? It could be a dime on a cent planchet. I don't think it is a dime missing cladding, because the strike is pretty good (missing layers would be really thin, and the strike would be terrible.) In my opinion, you may be on to something with this one, possibly.

What does the edge look like? It could be a dime on a cent planchet. I don't think it is a dime missing cladding, because the strike is pretty good (missing layers would be really thin, and the strike would be terrible.) In my opinion, you may be on to something with this one, possibly.

You think with the cent planchet being larger that the lettering would be further away from the rim? Also, I can't see it real good, but it looks to maybe have a reeded edge.

I believe it is all copper on the edge. I've called my dad who has the coin right now (hes got the scanner) and he thinks it's all copper as well. He's going to check in a hour or so when he gets home.

What's a reeded edge?

Take a penny and a dime. The cent will be smoothe and you will notice the dime has little grooves on the edge. This is called a Reeded Edge. Same as the Quarter and half dollar also.

What's a reeded edge?

Let me take this one, it's one I can actually answer! ;)

Reeded edge, the little lines on an edge of the coin, as opposed to a SMOOTH edge coin. (not exactly a TECHNICAL definition), but for common examples:

Roosevelt Dimes have a reeded edge

Washington Quarters

Kennedy Half dollars even

Susan B. Anthony Dollar

A few common examples of coins that DON'T have a reeded edge, so they are SMOOTH:

Lincoln Cent

Sacagawea "Golden" Dollar

Presidential Dollars (though they have incused lettering, they are still not reeded).

Thanks for the welcomings everyone :)

I'm guessing that a dime being struck on a cent planchet would be more rare than a dime missing its outer layer?

Correct

I am thinking corrosion Maybe a Metal detector find

Hold on Folks ...

Am I seeing things or is the reverse the reverse of what it is supposed to be ???

Looks in and not out ....

Mike, I think that's the effect of the scan.

Hold on Folks ...

Am I seeing things or is the reverse the reverse of what it is supposed to be ???

Looks in and not out ....

Mike, I think that's the effect of the scan.

You are probably right - Depth perception with scans suck :(

Judging from the sharpness of the strike, it looks to be missing the clad layer before being struck. A normal clad dime should weigh 2.268 gms. If it is missing the clad layer, it would weigh about 2.079 gms. According to Error Trends Coin Magazine, it is worth about $80 retail.

Chris

First of all, welcome to the forum, Wildstar! :hi: (cool name!)

I would suggest taking the coin to a jewelers' and having it weighed - in grams, if possible. A normal dime is approx 2.27 grams, and a dime missing both clad layers would weigh about 1.7 grams.

I would suggest taking the coin to a jewelers' and having it weighed - in grams, if possible. A normal dime is approx 2.27 grams, and a dime missing both clad layers would weigh about 1.7 grams.

I think you're allowing too much weight for the clad layer.

Chris

Haha thanks, my middle name is actually Wildstar.