• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you expect from this and similar forums?

10 posts in this topic

Reading some of the recent posts about Mark leaving, and my poor grammar/spelling, I began to wonder what folks really expect from this forum (or other similar ones). Personally, I view this place like I would my local Starbucks or Bookstore. It's a place to gather and chat for fun about whatever interests you. You can share what you've found, talk about life, or go into details about your favorite series. Certainly I don't expect a dissertation on the intimacies of every die variety on the 1802 half cent, and even if I found that I would find it to boring to read (not to disparage those of you that like that sort of thing). Look at what interests you, and ignore the rest. Heck, the only reason I chimed in on the EVP/Kingkoin thread was that I am endlessly entertained by pirates.

So I am really interested to know what you all hope to find here. Maybe then we can find it easier to accomodate everyone's interest.

I expect the unexpected. I expect to learn. I expect to teach. I expect to laugh a little and cry a little. It's everything I expected.

I expect topics mostly to be on-topic wrt coins and coin collectors, dealers and numismatists. I expect the posts mostly to be about learning and teaching, to be about the sharing of ideas and experiences, and mostly to be about having fun.

I expect a some small precentage of the posts to be off-topic. I expect an even smaller percentage to be annoying or unpleasant.

Mostly, I expected a community of people much like communities everywhere, where we all struggle to make our community the best it can be. Whether this community turns out to be like the CU boards, or like the rec.collecting.coins newsgroup, or like Tombstone, NV, is up to us.

I expect the community to pull together to make this the kind of place we want it to be.

EVP

When I first joined, I expected this to be a place to ask questions and share discoveries regarding coins and numismatics issues.

Now I expect it to be a forum for bickering over trivial things. I expect the Water Cooler to be drivel about any topic that pops into a member's head (that's why I spend most of my time there).

I expected it to be a forum where I could goof off a little at work while reading about stuff that interests me...as well as "meeting" other collectors...as well as get a cross section opinion on third party grading.

To be honest, I am not interested that much in things outside my collection targets...things like error coins, "peeing" Minutemen, bust halves, registry sets, et al don't captivate me...but I do like reading some of those posts to see the passion you guys share for your area of interest like I do for my Morgans and Redfields and the like.

One thing I reaaly like about the NGC board vs. the one across the street is that it easily identifies what threads I haven't read yet and how many pending responses...makes it easier to jump over ones I may not be real interested in.

In the US Coin (and World Coin) forum I expect for 90% of the talk to be about coins/numismatics. I don't care if it is about die cracks or large cents or modern stuff, but it should be primarily about coins, their history, art, etc. - coins and numismatics at large.

In the Registry forum I hope that most topics can be aimed at how to build a better registry set, what to look for, methods of collecting for the registries, what comprises a good set, type sets and their various nuances, and a few friendly suggestions to NGC about what may improve the scoring, ranking, etc.

As for all the matches, they are VERY tiresome. I think that when a person is making a stupid statement or one of no taste, they might have that pointed out, and leave it. Take the rest of the argument to PM's.

I look here for intelligent and/or informative and playful comment. This is the stuff of building a community. We should pay more attention to building each other up, being honest but not tearing each other down. We all say and do stupid things from time to time. And more often than not, a statement out of character for an individual is likely misstated. A little tolerance would be nice.

I truly don't care if this forum is slow. When it was slow, most of the posts were worth reading and participating in.

Hoot