• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should NGC limit the number of PCGS coins in each Registry Set?

67 posts in this topic

The fact is, that I and many others came to this board in the first place, because it gave a forum to collect and display both venues coins (both PCGS and NGC). I really hope that this is not a move to force NGC members to convert their slabs to only NGC. Since I have some of both brand slabs that I have had since the beginning of slabdom, it would be very costly and inconvenient to have to crossover these holders, either way. Especially since I collect coins, not slabs of a particular brand. In fact it may be the final straw forcing me to not collect coins anymore at all, if I have to do take sides. This is how bad an idea I think that this is!

People seem to have this selective gene (ref: Sneetches with Stars, re: Dr. Seuss) to try an make their product be selected over any others at any cost to the collector. For nearly 10 years no NGC has resisted playing this one-upmanship, selectivity game and I for one, left the PCGS boards because of their Cool Aid only mentality. I sincerely wish that this effort would stop before it causes more harm to this hobby and makes the choice of slabs mandatory for registry membership. That was the charm of this site in the first place!

I have read through this thread with interest, as I am one who registered my 100% PCGS set on this side of the street at the urging of a friend. Since then, I have added some very nice NGC coins to my set that were superior to my PCGS coins, although my sets are still largely PCGS. I have always said buy the coin, not the plastic, but since registering my set over here, I have actually opened my eyes to all slabs and have found some wonderful coins. And that is the direct result of the NGC policy allowing PCGS coins in their registry. I would hope this policy remains as is.

I have read through this thread with interest, as I am one who registered my 100% PCGS set on this side of the street at the urging of a friend. Since then, I have added some very nice NGC coins to my set that were superior to my PCGS coins, although my sets are still largely PCGS. I have always said buy the coin, not the plastic, but since registering my set over here, I have actually opened my eyes to all slabs and have found some wonderful coins. And that is the direct result of the NGC policy allowing PCGS coins in their registry. I would hope this policy remains as is.

:applause:

My understanding of Scott's announcement would be that mixed sets would still be allowed and encouraged, but NGC-only sets would have a separate competition, or be set apart in some way. I agree, it would be incredibly foolish on NGC's part to eliminate PCGS coins from their registry.

My understanding of Scott's announcement would be that mixed sets would still be allowed and encouraged, but NGC-only sets would have a separate competition, or be set apart in some way. I agree, it would be incredibly foolish on NGC's part to eliminate PCGS coins from their registry.

And I totally agree with the fact that it would be foolish of NGC to shut others out (like the way PCGS presently does business) but I would like to see them put some type of limit (once again 50%) on the ammount of coins in other holders that can be used in this registry. The fact that NGC is considering a separate option for an NGC only set is a great idea in my mind.

Brian

The fact is, that I and many others came to this board in the first place, because it gave a forum to collect and display both venues coins (both PCGS and NGC). I really hope that this is not a move to force NGC members to convert their slabs to only NGC. Since I have some of both brand slabs that I have had since the beginning of slabdom, it would be very costly and inconvenient to have to crossover these holders, either way. Especially since I collect coins, not slabs of a particular brand. In fact it may be the final straw forcing me to not collect coins anymore at all, if I have to do take sides. This is how bad an idea I think that this is!

People seem to have this selective gene (ref: Sneetches with Stars, re: Dr. Seuss) to try an make their product be selected over any others at any cost to the collector. For nearly 10 years no NGC has resisted playing this one-upmanship, selectivity game and I for one, left the PCGS boards because of their Cool Aid only mentality. I sincerely wish that this effort would stop before it causes more harm to this hobby and makes the choice of slabs mandatory for registry membership. That was the charm of this site in the first place!

+1, ditto (thumbs u