• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The evil among us (poll added)

69 posts in this topic

Hmmm - you may be pricing yourself too low. That 1913 Liberty nickel later sold for $1.8M! But what the heck does one of the most famous coins in all of numismatics have to do with a die scratch error?

Wow - I've got a trade dollar with a die scratch! I even have one that's an MS and one that's a proof. Die cracks? Why, I've got one that completely encircles the reverse of the coin. Now that's impressive! Perhaps you'd care to buy that for $1M?

Yea,

but the ones you have don't have a bladder problem like mine does. That is the difference. It is like realestate location, location & location.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

OK

If you don't like that answer then how about this one. It is one of 12 coins. It is a silver proof coin.It is not a die scratch. It is a die crack and proven as such by two different grading companies. No other coins have been found so far and I challenge YOU to find more of them. I am not saying there are no more of them so you may get lucky and find one.I have been looking for more of them for 7 months so good luck.

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

I would not spend one second of my life looking for one of your stupid die crack quarters. You are wasting more energy in hot air alone than all of them put together are worth.

If I found one on the sidewalk, I would spend it for a piece of candy. That's how valuable it is. Just the honest truth. If you are too stupid or ignorant to believe a thousand knowledgable numismatists, then that is your own problem.

My last response to you.

AYE!!!!!

If he/she can get somebody with more money than brains to buy the coin then more power to him/her. That's a fact of free enterprise. Everyone here knows that coin isn't worth the asking price and it might be an insult to the collective intelligence here to infer otherwise.

Except for the fact that the auction says 5 coins known and in a previous post more known coins were mentioned the coin is not misrepresented specifically with a blatant lie so it becomes Caveat Emptor. This is not a counterfeit coin, just overpriced.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion even if it's bad and selfserving.

Dave,

"If he/she can get somebody with more money than brains to buy the coin then more power to him/her."

I have to disagree with you. Do you think the used car business is harmed by unscrupulous dealers that prey upon the unsuspecting? How about the home improvement business that have operators that prey upon the elderly and sell expensive home improvements that cost the contractor little to nothing?

Are these practices ok? Do they help or harm the industry?

I suggest that those who care about the industry and others with "less brains" than them speak up and against those who prey on the vunerable.

How expensive would a 1965 Corvet Convertable be if only 12 existed?

How expensive is a 2 million dollar home without home improvements?

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

You can not compare coins and cars. A car would be more valuable than some scratched or cracked die quarter. If you think about it, just about anyone would pay more for a car than a coin. There is not much you can do with a quarter. Can you drive a quarter around? Unless someone can shave the Indy car off of the reverse of the IN state quarter and start it up and drive it.

Good point about who gets hurt in any scam. When I made that post I was thinking of some rich fatcat with a quick buck in mind rather than someone perhaps on a fixed income plunking down their life savings. A scam is a scam no matter who gets hurt but I don't think Bill Gates will get hurt more than Grandma Moses and I don't think Grandma will plunk down the farm to buy a coin.

As far as those who care about the industry and others with "less brains" we are speaking up and against those who prey on the vulnerable and that is one of the chief reasons why we're here, to maybe educate and learn.

There are are less honest people in any industry and people who don't do their homework may suffer.

Dave,

It seems that you are defending a scam artists right to try to scam people without voicing outrage over such actions.

Just because a scam artist's actions may technically be within legal limits does not mean that we should still put up with it. We are also entitled to certain freedoms, and that includes dealing with the dregs of society however we can -- within legal limits, of course!

And, no one here is seriously advocating personal or financial injury to anyone else. Perhaps to hurt his feelings...

EVP

It is no scam. The coin is that rare. Prove to me it isn't. Show me the 13th one. Only 5 1913 V nickles exist. No errors are on them. It is worth 1.8 million. What if one of them had an error on it?

KINGKOIN KING OF KOINS

I'm not trying to advocate anyone's right to cheat someone else, legal or otherwise. But we do live in a society of free speech and until someone crosses the line into illegality I have to take the stance of let the buyer beware. I abhor those auctions but I haven't seen any bidders so far and if anyone is foolish enough to buy one of those coins then it might be time for more homework if not time for someone in the family to take over legal affairs.

We're not putting up with it. Anyone with access to ebay has access to this and other forums and I hope they use them.

EVP: Speaking of 1913 Liberty nickels, I can honestly state that if one of them had an error on it, it would become the LEAST valuable of the 5. It certainly would not add to the value of the coin whatsoever and most certainly would detract.

For instance: Double struck bust dollars are certainly not too common and command a premium. A double struck MS65 would be a spectacular coin. However, I am certain that it would sell for significantly less than a normally struck MS65 simply because the demand would be so much less for the error coin.

How's that for irony - the minuteman is actually worth less than a perfect proof quarter because it has a defect on it! wink.gif

Ok, kingkoin, this is the first time I've answered directly. If the coin is as rare as advertised then why not start the bidding at $10 and see where it goes instead of an opening bid of $999,999.99 Let the market dictate what the coin is worth.

TDN,

There is a segment of the ED community who do collect multiply-struck specimens. It is a small community. WDP is one, and JJH was another. I suspect that Jules Reiver is a third.

So, that makes only a single known collector of this stuff. I'll bet that WDP has ``my'' 8x5 Star Gazer specimen!

There may be more folks who're into this stuff, but in any case the community remains small by comparison. Lack of demand, relatively to an already reduced supply, keeps the prices depressed.

EVP

EVP: I was so interested in what my trade dollar with the die cracks might be worth so I looked it up in the "Guide Book of United States Coins" under the error section. Unfortunately, they didn't have trade dollars, but they do post a $10 value for a clad quarter with a prominent die break.

Yeah sure! What the hell. Guilty as charged. Everybody's guilty of something so why not...... Hang him! If you don't have a rope, I've got a clothesline in the trunk of my car that EVP and I use to hog-tie unruly and unsavory comic collectors and drop in the snakepit. Then we laugh like hyaneas while we're de-lousing with a UV "bath".