• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1881 S Morgan $ grade please

16 posts in this topic

I would appreciate your opinions as to grade for this 1881 S Morgan $. It is beautifully toned(more the obverse than the reverse color-my lighting you know). I know it is not valuable, but is rather attractive, I think. I have misgivings about the color though. I had 5 free submissions and elected not to send it for fear of cleaning/coloring issues. What do you think? Sellers pics did not show the fingerprint, rats! Maybe an acetone or acetate(whichever it is) bath would eradicate the print, do you think so?

1881SMorgan.jpg

MS63 or MS64...I don't see the toning.....or at least its not enough that I would mention hm

Something looks a touch off about the obverse but it could just be the image....

Upon magnification, it appears this coin has been colored. Maybe even brushed on.

Besides that, what is up with the first 8 and with the S mintmark.

Are those just die chips or what?

18.jpgSmintmark.jpg

Neat avatar, Bobby, first time I have seen it.

In answer to your question, yes, that is toning around the letters on both sides. No green, must be my photographic skills. lol