• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whatever Happened to Don Taxay?

5 posts in this topic

This seems like something I should know, however, I can't recall whatever happened to Don Taxay. Can anyone help me with this one?

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

He got burned out on the coin business about thirty years ago. At the same time, he evidently had some sort of religious conversion. I've heard that he became a Buddhist or some similar Eastern religion and left the USA to be closer to the source. flowerred.gif

Julian Leidman posts here occasionally. I believe he would know more about the specifics. J, are you out there?

I thought I had asked that to Julian once. I don't remember Julian mentioning the religious conversion part but the "burn out" seemed to be the case or just disappearing.

Since we brought this up about "missing" coin people, there was a young kid who wrote a book (with another older guy) on Nickels about 1988. I think his name was Westcott or some such. The book was "forwarded" and I believe published by Dave Bowers. The older gentleman who helped write the book had passed away before it was published but Bowers seemed to think this kid was some sort of prodigy. I haven't heard anything from this kid that I know of since....at least since 1992 when I got started in collecting again.

jom

I just read Wescott's book. Nice piece of work, especially for a 17 year old. Probably felt too much like a dissertation to him and burnt him. flamed.gif

Hoot