• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin Show in Rochester

5 posts in this topic

The Rochester Numismatic Association is having their annual coin show this week-end. I haven't been to one in over 2 decades, so even though I've heard it is fairly small (I'm guessing less than 30 dealers), I'm looking forward to it.

Is there anyone else in the Rochester area who is planning on attending?

I came, I saw, I bought...now I have to explain it to my wife shocked.gif

My observations:

. Lots and lots of PCI and NumisTrust slabs.

. While there were quite a few PCGS slabs they seemed to mostly encapsulate Dollars, Commems, and modern proof cameos with a springling of every thing else.

. NGC slabs had lots of gold and a good mixture of all denominations

. Although I saw a lot of Jeff war nickels they were either PCGS Full Step or raw and labeled Full Step. Since PCGS only requires 5 steps I passed on those, and none of the raw ones labeled as Full Step actually were.

. Prices were pretty high, but dealers were reasonable about haggling depending upon what you were interested in buying.

. Even though I bought stuff, there were several other coins I wish I had picked up, but...isn't that always the case?

. It seemed that folks were buying - and not just entry grade stuff - good coins were selling well and quickly. The dealers I talked with were pretty happy with the traffic and the business. Not bad for a small show.

. I ended up picking up an Isabella Quarter graded MS64 by PCGS and an Antietam half graded MS65 by PCGS in a very old slab that I'll probably try to cross. I fell in love with the quarter, and the dealer made me a very good package deal for both coins. We almost included an MS65 Gettysburg but I couldn't get him down far enough.

You know what really hurts though? I was cruising through some of the registry sets and saw Greg Bingham's MS69 Antietam - its just not fair mad.gif But, it'll never stop me from building my set the best I can...in spite of my wife smirk.gif

RWW - Way to go! Hope you have a golf club or two handy when explaining that stuff to your wife! blush.gifwink.gif

Don't look at Bingham's collection unless you simply wish to be depressed. I PMed him the other day asking if he would post some pics but haven't heard back. I guess it was just a fit of masochism anyhow.

Congrats! Hoot