• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A lost pedigree is found

16 posts in this topic

No, it's not Norweb. wink.gif

As I enjoy doing when I'm bored, I was browsing thru my old auction catalogs yesterday when a Gobrecht caught my eye. It looked similar to one that I recently purchased, but I wasn't sure since it was in the bank vault and I hadn't viewed it recently. It also had the eagle flying upward and I knew mine was not that configuration. I decided that the picture was similar enough to warrant a trip to the bank.

YES! It is an absolute match for the catalog plate, except for the "onward and upward" flight of the eagle. But I know that most auction companies habitually rotated the reverses of Gobrecht dollars to this aspect, so I am 100% confident that my coin is the Amon Carter 1838! A lost provenance has been found!

1838%20gobrecht.jpg

Personally, I like the 1875-S. The luster is so amazing and the periphrial toning just knocks your socks off. And as you know, EVP, the most important area on a trade dollar is the field underneath Liberty's outstretched arm. This area on the 75-S is immaculate - the cleanest I've ever seen.

But... I'm unbelievably happy to know the provenance of the Gobrecht. I now believe that I'll hold out for a nice pedigree on any remaining Gobrechts as well. I've got the Eliasberg 1836 Name Under Base, the Carter 1838, and the Norweb 1839. What history!

When someone says "Lost pedigree is found" I was thinking someone found their DOG...lol

But...that coin ain't no DOG. laugh.gif

Great story!

jom

TDN, great story!!! When was it originally sold? Can you trace much of the ownership line after Amon Carter?

The coin fetched $22,000 [!!!] in the 1984 Amon Carter sale held by Stacks. I received the coin thru the Share Collection - an almost complete collection of seated and trade dollars. Mr Share was actively adding coins from the mid 1980's to the late 1990's, so it is possible that he bought it direct from the sale.

The coin fetched $22,000 [!!!] in the 1984

Fetched? Pedigree? C'mon...admit it. The coin is really a dog! laugh.gif

jom